what TYPE of school do u go to? (1 Viewer)

what TYPE of school do you go to??

• Total voters

Mithead

HSC
Pretty sure St Spiridons did something like that for anyone who got a UAI over 97. Something like $3000. Thats what the SMH said anyway...

keeganryan

HSC
Re: Public School vs. Private

haha lulabelle, im with u.. im thoroughly amused by this as well...
while alot of parents struggle and work very hard to get their kidsinto private schools, a large majority are quite wealthy...
which tends to result in kids who are apathetic towards study because of their financial security.
[of course, im generalizing..]
Totally agree.
As a private school attendee and lover, I can honestly say pretty much every student in my grade knows they can just fall back on the family money. There aren't the same pressures that a student in a public school may face if they're trying to break out of the poverty cycle.
On the topic of teachers, how does one choose to class teachers? Is the young, fun one who isn't experienced but is so cool better than the old woman who knows what she's on about but drives you to the point of insanity with her nasally voice? We can hardly judge. Every school has it's good teachers and it's bad.
Just like each of us, biased toward what we know and love, teachers have a preference too. Many of my teachers say that after a stint in public schools they are so glad they've escalated into the private system because they have access to more teaching facilities and the students have more respect, but some family friends choose to teach in public schools because they feel like they are having a bigger impact on the local community teaching the disadvantaged.
I don't believe there is any way to rank teachers.

I personally have never been to a private skool but what i fail to undertsand is why parents would pay for their kids to get into a private skool when a public skool which is equal if not better in regards to teaching , results etc is almost a quarter of the price. Its almost like a staus thing. their like yeah my kid goes to "where ever" and people listeneing to them brag are like "oooh really..how fancy!"
ok so private skools may have better facilities but thats coz they pay like $2000 dollars each year.
Why you fail to understand is because you've never had the experience. Why do you think just the name of school elicits such a response? Because they have certain reputations for being just that, 'fancy.'
Ha! We pay more than $2000, are you kidding me? And yeah, we do have better facilities. That's why we pay the money, cause we see the need for such amenities and opportunities.
If public schooling was so great, private schools need never have been established, because public schools would have provided everything a whole-rounded education required. But they didn't, and so a better alternative was required, thus, private schooling commenced existence.

but there is always going to be this debate about private VS public skools and no one is eva going to come to an answer coz everyone is so bias towards thier own skool. i mean lets face it. if ur private ull say private is better if ur public ull say publixc is better no matter how u try to justify. Unless of course u go to skool in a bin then in that case...
Yet another perfectly pertinent point ruined by a lack of grammar and a poor concluding statement.
So public school... :)

samthebear

HSC
$2000 a YEAR?! where is this school and where can i enroll?!?! my dear, private schools cost more like $20, 000 a year. yes. twenty thousand not two thousand.

Catholic schools (i know this, i attend one) cost approximately up to $5000 a year (senior year) for an average catholic school. for an upper class catholic school expect to pay up to $20 000 (senior year). if you compare two similar upper class schools, one catholic and one private, the catholic one will cost about $4000 less. My guess is that the catholic church is subsidising education costs. The roman catholic church is not the richest religion on the face of this earth for nothing.

Well i've never attended a public school, i've always attended catholic schools and i find the sense of community in a catholic school to be somewhat soothing. At times it gets annoying, but sometimes its nice to know that there's someone there for you at school. I cant really make alot of judgements about public Vs. private/catholic but because i've been attending saturday school since year 9 i can safely say that catholic schools/private schools have better school buildings and facilities.

I'm deffs going to send my kid to a catholic school - not because i'm catholic but because i really appreciate the pastoral care as well as acedemic focus. It makes a good balance, it also has to do with the people who attend as well =] i know alot of my teachers are glad to be teaching in a catholic school especially if they've taught in a public school before. Stuff about students being more respectful, less disruptive, more motivated etc. not to mention the extra resources.

Last edited:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
$2000 a YEAR?! where is this school and where can i enroll?!?! my dear, private schools cost more like $20, 000 a year. yes. twenty thousand not two thousand.

Catholic schools (i know this, i attend one) cost approximately up to $5000 a year (senior year) for an average catholic school. for an upper class catholic school expect to pay up to $20 000 (senior year). if you compare two similar upper class schools, one catholic and one private, the catholic one will cost about $4000 less. My guess is that the catholic church is subsidising education costs. The roman catholic church is not the richest religion on the face of this earth for nothing.

Well i've never attended a public school, i've always attended catholic schools and i find the sense of community in a catholic school to be somewhat soothing. At times it gets annoying, but sometimes its nice to know that there's someone there for you at school. I cant really make alot of judgements about public Vs. private/catholic but because i've been attending saturday school since year 9 i can safely say that catholic schools/private schools have better school buildings and facilities.

I'm deffs going to send my kid to a catholic school - not because i'm catholic but because i really appreciate the pastoral care as well as acedemic focus. It makes a good balance, it also has to do with the people who attend as well =] i know alot of my teachers are glad to be teaching in a catholic school especially if they've taught in a public school before. Stuff about students being more respectful, less disruptive, more motivated etc. not to mention the extra resources.
Fuck, it's hilarious how non-religious guys go to religious schools.

HSC

I think u get a much better education at public schools because the teachers do care and set up extra lessons and do a lot of extra work when they really dont need to. Public schools all the way
thats bullcrap!
we get extra lessons & teachers do extra work at my school.
i go to a catholic school btw

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

There aren't the same pressures that a student in a public school may face if they're trying to break out of the poverty cycle.
Thats a horrible thing to say.

thats bullcrap!
we get extra lessons & teachers do extra work at my school.
i go to a catholic school btw
I think this kind of thing is far more dependent on the teachers as individuals, rather than the school in which they teach.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ahaha what?

$2000?

That's not too bad. I think our external dux gets some cheque from school and internal dux gets some UNSW scholarship that is worth 4000 dollars....I want lol

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

My school's ~ $2000 - $3000 a year, and most catholic schools are.

I think this kind of thing is far more dependent on the teachers as individuals, rather than the school in which they teach.
True, although at my school it's policy that teachers who teach the top maths class dedicate time for extra lessons for accelerated students.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

True, although at my school it's policy that teachers who teach the top maths class dedicate time for extra lessons for accelerated students.
do they get paid for that extra time?

keeganryan

HSC

Horrible in which way?
I know a number of public school students who are working incredibly hard so as to have the chance to offer their children the opportunities they themselves were never provided with. It's a perfectly valid point.
I understand that not all students would be encountering this same experience, hence my use of the word may.

I know not a single catholic school with such low fees. I'm honestly amazed they exist.

oly1991

HSC

I know not a single catholic school with such low fees. I'm honestly amazed they exist.
well i go to a catholic school which costs that much and there are countless catholic schools i know that cost that amount aswell.

samthebear

HSC
really? i dont know that many catholic schools that cost that little. maybe in junior years, but deffs not in senior years.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Horrible in which way?
I know a number of public school students who are working incredibly hard so as to have the chance to offer their children the opportunities they themselves were never provided with. It's a perfectly valid point.
I understand that not all students would be encountering this same experience, hence my use of the word may.
The association of public schooling with the poverty cycle if horrible. You make it sound as if those who are not struggling for such reasons are the minority, though you may not have intended it so.

oly1991

HSC
really? i dont know that many catholic schools that cost that little. maybe in junior years, but deffs not in senior years.
lol to be honest i dont know any catholic schools that cost MORE than that amount. However, there are many "private"schools that demand that price.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
There are two types of Catholic Schools, systemic catholic and independent catholic.

Independent Catholic - you'd be looking at paying $5000 minimum per year.
Systemic Catholic - you'd be looking at paying $3000 max for Year 12 (depending on the area - some might be $5000)

What's the difference, systemic schools are part of the Catholic Education Office so it's cheaper because they collectively receive the government funding and spread it to all schools, however after talking with friends, schools in the Sydney Catholic Education office (like my school) are a LOT cheaper than schools in the Parramatta region.

http://www.ceosyd.catholic.edu.au/cms/Jahia/pid/3330
"Each NSW Catholic systemic school student received, on average, $2,554 less in government funding than a student in a government school. This difference is partly offset by fees, building levies and other charges paid by parents, as well as support from parishes." - that explains the low school fees.

My school does =)
People just assume we pay $10k+ because we're not public.

do they get paid for that extra time?
According to my teacher, they don't. But they get time off from other stuff like lunch duty, so some teachers opt to hold lessons during lunch and their free periods.

Last edited:

samthebear

HSC
i go to a systemic catholic school but i pay close to 4000 a year o_O (senior year)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)