What was ur first day @ Uni like, Uni Students? (1 Viewer)

pman

Banned
HSC
most of my school are going to usyd and unsw or doing physio so I'm not likely to see anyone in physics lectures! If your at wollongong doing my course, come say hello!

HSC
My first lecture was a bit of a non-event, two people I knew from school were in that subject so I felt quite at ease.

My first tute, however, was ridiculous. The tutor did all these 'getting to know you' type activities, honestly 15 people in the tute, five had come from the same school. I think that 2 hours dragged so much.
The thing is though is that I made so many friends out of that tute group by the end of the semester, so not all was terrible about that day.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
i actually had a tute first, i think. lol.
and only 4 people from my school go to unsw, with me the only commerce one.

i just remember having the irrational fear that i had gone into the wrong classroom and my name wasnt going to be on the roll.

then we also did the 'getting to know you' thing so it turned out ok.

uni is very lonely at first but it gets better, u need to have the balls to say hi.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
My first day was pretty boring and unmemorable, just lectures with general info and a lot of forgettable faces. In fact the thing i remember most is waiting around heaps.

If you don't know anyone from school you'll probably end up being semi-friends with a whole lot of people at first that you will eventually fall out with and never see again, or thats what happened to me and a lot of people i know anyway.
this sucks :( i was really hoping id make some really close friends at uni

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
this sucks :( i was really hoping id make some really close friends at uni
Oh i just meant in the first month or so, now i have a really close group of friends from other degrees that i mostly met at the bar. I'm sure you'll make proper friends, it's just at first a lot of people are just so desperate to have friends they will hang out with people they don't even particularly like.

boxhunter91

HSC
If i get into oral Health at usyd it would be expected i make friends. Ill be spending 3 straight years with these people. (30 of em).Hopefully they are ready to dominate like me :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If i get into oral Health at usyd it would be expected i make friends. Ill be spending 3 straight years with these people. (30 of em).
Creative Arts (Performance) is the same. 30hours a week with the same bunch of people. Of course, any course that has student nudity in it's curriculum usually forces people to be comfortable with one another. :)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I posted a thread early last year titled "first day worst day" describing my first day at uni. If you care to you can search for it although the title should be enough to tell you where it is heading.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i just replied in it then

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
philosophy lecture, didn't know a soul, was just waiting around until i saw a girl i recognised from orientation day, went up and said hi, we're still friends now :)

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
If i get into oral Health at usyd it would be expected i make friends. Ill be spending 3 straight years with these people. (30 of em).Hopefully they are ready to dominate like me :)
fuck i would love to punch you in the mouth.

HSC
i remember my very very first calss was legt1711 in john goodsell building, my tutor was mary ip i wanted to shoot myself in the face her english was horrible. i enver really went to class much 1st year, made heaps of friends introduced myself to nearby people in lectures i still am friends with too this day
wasnt daunting at all, pretty excited actually

Danzboy

HSC
I rocked up to my first class pissing my pants. i was 10minutes early so i waited outside with everyone else.

Everyone was standing by them selves and had their phones or books out and pretended to be busy lol.

So i was like, screw this, i wanna make friends. SO i went to one guy and said "Mate, is this Mathematical Modelling for science?" And he was like "Yeh man, i think so". From there we talked and introduced ourselves and i had a friend to sit inside with.

Uni is a scary place at first. It generally makes people put up their defenses and become unaprochable (SP). So when you get there, make sure you have a smile on your face and just get talking with people :D

Oh and our lecture was just about the intro to maths etc.

HSC
About to say 'I can't remember'; But I do.

I walked in to my class nervous; and had a guy from the year above at my old school say - 'hey - I know you!' So I chilled with him. THe first month you settle into your group of friends; particularly if you do science. lab buddies ftw.

hotdimsim

HSC
The easiest way to meet friends is to talk to them with a question. eg "Is this the <insert subject> lecture?" EVERYONE will be nervous and shy and waiting for someone to make the first move, so just strike up a convo.

And dont feel bad that people are already in groups chatting etc and you feel you cant get to know them as they already have their group sorted. Most of the time they only have met one another a few times (ie o week), are eager to meet new people and are nervous all the same.

Heaps of my uni mates i met because they all new each other before hand so by introducing myself to one person i inadvertantly met heaps of people.

Most people are nice and want to know you, exploit that :)

dafs2

HSC
really boring :(

turned up to uni with a friend who had another class on at the same time,
walked to the lecture theatre and grabbed a seat. It was a 2-hour lecture ;
which included doing a bit of 'groupwork' brainstorming ... so we were forced
to turn to the people around and us and talk. It was alright, but a little awkward.
Had no other lectures and tutes for the day and went home.

The first day (actually for me, it was the first two weeks) was crap, things get better on, you'll find that you can probably make friends more easily in tutorials. With large lecture theatres with 300-500 people, it's harder to talk to people
(if you ever see them again!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)