What was ur first day @ Uni like, Uni Students? (1 Viewer)

AshVonB

HSC
I remember my first class was middle ages history with Lynette Olson (who is a legend!). Great lecture but I was soooooo tired from being so excited the night before, not sleeping and geting up too early (over estimated the commmute time) that the whole first day is a haze and blur of red bull and coffee...and Hare Krishnas.

rx34

HSC
I rocked up to my first class pissing my pants. i was 10minutes early so i waited outside with everyone else.

Everyone was standing by them selves and had their phones or books out and pretended to be busy lol.

So i was like, screw this, i wanna make friends. SO i went to one guy and said "Mate, is this Mathematical Modelling for science?" And he was like "Yeh man, i think so". From there we talked and introduced ourselves and i had a friend to sit inside with.

Uni is a scary place at first. It generally makes people put up their defenses and become unaprochable (SP). So when you get there, make sure you have a smile on your face and just get talking with people :D

Oh and our lecture was just about the intro to maths etc.
Lol, I used to do that. I would be frantically changing music on my iPhone to look busy. Haha. But I did toughen up and talk to randoms in tutes.

Otacon2009

HSC
My first day of uni was rather anti-climatic. Either it was because my mum used to work at the uni for 10 years or that it's the only university in town, but my first day at CDU was a non-event compared to my first days at primary, high and senior school.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I love how there are people on this thread saying "Look out for me and say hi!". It's endearing haha.

I am in exactly the same boat though.

I tend to be quite sociable so I will try and strike up a conversation with someone, although at the same time, I have no idea what to expect lol. Will there be more males than females? Will caucasian people (like myself) be in the minority? I have so many questions haha!!! I am really looking forward to the multiculturalism of university though, especially considering where I am currently situated, it is immensely anglo-saxon and "white"... One thing I am not looking forward to however, is the commute :S

Now to jump on the bandwagon...

If you're doing Architecture at UNSW later this year and see a semi out there, semi timid caucasian male, come say hi!!!

Haha...

Last edited:

oly1991

HSC
haha funny stories.

i hope my first day isn't awkward. although i do know a few people doing my course, so it should be alright.

looking forward to o-week for unsw! :)

Lydia_88

HSC
my first day... was a blur but i had a good time :D...... i wanted to go for coffee with a couple of buudies i made in the lecture but i had to go somewhere :(.....but looks like we hung out later on....i guess that was back in first year :D..i guess its a come and go situation, you see em for one semester, then you dont ..

now i have a group of guy friends i hang around from first year chemistry! :D although we do different degrees, we keep in touch :D

guess its worth it in the end. having to know new people, and you keep meeting new ppl every year :)

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
gah! im so looking forward to my first uni day, but so very very nervous, hate that awkward standing around amongst tonnes of people and no one is talking to each other - though the walking towards a crowd of people who have already grouped off scenario is on a whole other level of suck.

*just remembered, at the Uni open days, everyone was doing the awkward standing thing outside a lecture theatre for students potentially doing my course - and there was one girl who was struggling with a vending machine and ended up cursing away at it amusingly eg. "WHY DO YOU HATE ME PIECE OF CRAP MACHINE?!" and my though was "you. me. instant friends."
wonder/hope shes doing the course after that,lol

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
wow you guys seem like you actually KNEW people from school on ur first day
im not going to know ANYBODY since nobody from my school is going to USYD except a couple of social work/psych students :(
people doing comm/science at usyd this year... come talk to me so i dont look like a loner.. srsly i dont bite
I didn't know anyone from my school apart from one other girl whom I couldn't be friends with (no personal animosity--just simply we were too different). Worst thing was, I was so different from everyone else in pharmacy in terms of socioeconomic background. Oh, and my age as well. I don't remember the first day apart from walking into MATH1606 and sidling into the front seat.

Lou283

HSC
I am extremely nervous because I am going as a mature age student (I'm in my early 20's) and I did high school in a different country! So I will def not see anyone I know!

I am going to try and be brave and say hi to someone =)

rx34

HSC
I hate transferring into second year at a new university, everyone already has friends. But it should be easier because I would make friends in my residential college.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
If you are nervous about making friends, you really have nothing to worry about. What i did to make friends was in my tutorials or practicals, sit next to the person who is alone, or whoever there is a spare seat next to, and say hi and introduce yourself, if you do this the first few classes, most people will also be looking to make friends and are going to be very willing to talk and get to know you.

Another thing which helped (maybe because i go to ACU and it is small) is go to o-week and talk to people in lines for student cards, or bookshops, or in lines to buy food or wherever large people gather. This is particularly easy if the line is long and boring just say hi to someone, i did this and i am really close friends with the people i met.

Von-Dyke

HSC
most of my school are going to usyd and unsw or doing physio so I'm not likely to see anyone in physics lectures! If your at wollongong doing my course, come say hello!

:sun:Thats me. MedRadPhys buddies fo sho hahaha

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Another thing which helped (maybe because i go to ACU and it is small) is go to o-week and talk to people in lines for student cards, or bookshops, or in lines to buy food or wherever large people gather. This is particularly easy if the line is long and boring just say hi to someone, i did this and i am really close friends with the people i met.
A guy in my Commerce year was doing that in O-Week. It seemed to work well for him. He met a lot of people that day, and now seems to be doing pretty well friendwise. Plus, it's a easy way to restart a conversation (Hey, didn't I meet you at O-Week?).

henry08

HSC
N/A
Skip lectures/classes and go get smahed at the Unibar instead?

ashllis92

HSC
If you are nervous about making friends, you really have nothing to worry about. What i did to make friends was in my tutorials or practicals, sit next to the person who is alone, or whoever there is a spare seat next to, and say hi and introduce yourself, if you do this the first few classes, most people will also be looking to make friends and are going to be very willing to talk and get to know you.

So the food court then?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
So the food court then?
Or if there are BBQ's going on, they're another place. The lines are usually pretty long, so get talking with the people around you.

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
uni kids livers know no boundries, 9am is just as good a time as any -or they may be drunk still fom the previous night -either way, win for you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)