Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

YO!

• ME2

Votes: 243 60.4%
  • EE2

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • Neither - It's a silly question

Votes: 57 14.2%

• Total voters

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Re: Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extensio

neither, what kind of dumb shit question is this

Zephyrio

HSC
Re: Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extensio

seano77 said:
Some people think people who do ME2 are just talented and, altough they put the hours in, its more a matter of how your brain works than anything else. EE2 on the other hand, requires a development of skills throughout the year and is not seen as a subject only 'freaks' do. (No offence). Therefore in my experience EE2 is seen as a more prestigious subject. Also, it takes a lot more effort as you are not merely building on the skills you've learnt from yr7 maths or that you're building from extension 1. EE1 english doesn't really have anything to do with the other english courses.
To be fair, 4U maths is quite difficult and often, to do well, you have to work tirelessly hard.

I would say that 4U maths is more prestigious, though. But 4U english is a lot of work too.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

runnable said:
Yea but you decided to talk about the prestigiousness of English in certain fields instead of maths. Borrowing from you, "prejudice much?"
Well, I didn't say English was more prestigious and that does not show any element of prejudice. I just showed examples where English is more important because in Speech Pathology in USYD, English Advanced is an assumed knowledge. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

If I were to provide examples where Maths is more "prestigious", I shall mention Adv Science (Advanced Mathematics) where MX2 is an assumed knowledge.

Zephyrio

HSC

lyounamu said:
Well, I didn't say English was more prestigious and that does not show any element of prejudice. I just showed examples where English is more important because in Speech Pathology in USYD, English Advanced is an assumed knowledge. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

If I were to provide examples where Maths is more "prestigious", I shall mention Adv Science (Advanced Mathematics) where MX2 is an assumed knowledge.
I don't think any course lists MX2 as assumed knowledge. I could be wrong, however.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Zephyrio said:
I don't think any course lists MX2 as assumed knowledge. I could be wrong, however.
Yes, there are. Advanced Science (Advanced Mathematics) at USYD has MX2 as an assumed knowledge and same story for Commerce (Actuarial Studies).

Zephyrio

HSC

lyounamu said:
Yes, there are. Advanced Science (Advanced Mathematics) at USYD has MX2 as an assumed knowledge and same story for Commerce (Actuarial Studies).
Wow? I always thought that only 3U was assumed, and 4U was recommended. lol

Garygaz

HSC

prestigious: exerting influence by reason of high status or prestige

They are HSC subjects, they don't assert your class or influence. Anyway, all this thread will ever do is show a flurry of personal opinion, hence, it's completely useless. There is no way of proving one or the other.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Garygaz said:

They are HSC subjects, they don't assert your class or influence. Anyway, all this thread will ever do is show a flurry of personal opinion, hence, it's completely useless. There is no way of proving one or the other.
+1

Zephyrio

HSC

Garygaz said:

If one person does 4U maths, and another does textiles, it's almost as if society conditions you to believing that the 4U maths person is more intelligent than the textiles person. I'm not advocating this kind of labelling, not at all, but to suggest that certain subjects within the HSC do not carry a certain level of prestige is a bit naive to me.

Garygaz

HSC

Zephyrio said:
If one person does 4U maths, and another does textiles, it's almost as if society conditions you to believing that the 4U maths person is more intelligent than the textiles person. I'm not advocating this kind of labelling, not at all, but to suggest that certain subjects within the HSC do not carry a certain level of prestige is a bit naive to me.
Intelligence doesn't equal prestige. Though, if you take it from the kind of extreme that you are, as in comparing Standard English to a distinction course in comparitive literature, it's obvious that a sense of superiority is assumed. But when you're comparing the peak of humanities and the peak of sciences, they are uncomparable as they are two completely different things. As for the poll result, way more people do Ext 2 Maths than English.

Razzah

HSC
Personally I think HSC English has been degraded to the point of a joke, perhaps this is just at my school. Its always a problem when a subject is based on subjective learning. Everything is a text now, everything has some sort of deeper-meaning and there is a tendency for over-analysis and treating texts as some sort of fig-leaf for the author's political views (which usually turn out to be very left wing - no surprise here).

Thus I think Maths come out the winner, its hard to corrupt a subject that is so objective. Although we have seen that it is possible with today's joke of a Physics course.

Also, Lyounamu, I don't know why but you seem to think you are some sort of maths god and you speak for all the maths focused people out there. You aren't and you don't. At least wait until you get into year 12 and are doing extension 2 maths before you start getting all cocky, although it would be preferable if you didn't act like that ever.

Zephyrio

HSC

Garygaz said:
Intelligence doesn't equal prestige. Though, if you take it from the kind of extreme that you are, as in comparing Standard English to a distinction course in comparitive literature, it's obvious that a sense of superiority is assumed. But when you're comparing the peak of humanities and the peak of sciences, they are uncomparable as they are two completely different things. As for the poll result, way more people do Ext 2 Maths than English.
Point taken.

But I think that the perception that 4U maths is harder than 4U English makes it more prestigious.

runnable

HSC

lyounamu said:
But that fact is that you did NOT mention Maths EXT2 but only mentioned cases for Eng 4U. So still, prejudice.:hammer:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Razzah said:
Personally I think HSC English has been degraded to the point of a joke, perhaps this is just at my school. Its always a problem when a subject is based on subjective learning. Everything is a text now, everything has some sort of deeper-meaning and there is a tendency for over-analysis and treating texts as some sort of fig-leaf for the author's political views (which usually turn out to be very left wing - no surprise here).

Thus I think Maths come out the winner, its hard to corrupt a subject that is so objective. Although we have seen that it is possible with today's joke of a Physics course.

Also, Lyounamu, I don't know why but you seem to think you are some sort of maths god and you speak for all the maths focused people out there. You aren't and you don't. At least wait until you get into year 12 and are doing extension 2 maths before you start getting all cocky, although it would be preferable if you didn't act like that ever.
wth? tell me an instance where i claimed to have been better than mx2 students on bos. I am aware of my ability than anyone else. I clearly undestand my mathematical knowledge cannot be even be compared with some bosers in action here.

Zephyrio

HSC

Razzah said:

I agree that advanced English is a bit of a farce. Because people learn English not for English, but for marks. They learn essays. Not English. Not to mention the ever-sickening "JOURNEYzZz r GrEaT!!" thesis lines we have to spew out, just because the rubric leans that way. :(

Extension Two English is one of the truly "creative" courses.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

runnable said:
But that fact is that you did NOT mention Maths EXT2 but only mentioned cases for Eng 4U. So still, prejudice.:hammer:
You merely interpeted in that particular way. My statement was straightforward and I clearly stated that it was only an example.

kthxbambi

HSC

im so sick of people saying "ohh a 6000 word story i could write that in a night" or whatever
at my school i get it like twice a day
sure you could turn out 6000 words of shit but youd fail
i couldnt do MX2, but i think both get the whole "wowww _X2!! amazing" reaction

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC

Although Maths Extension 2 does scale better, I do believe English Extension 2 is by far more prestigious. Personally, I think it's much more difficult to do well in - usually there's about 80 or so people who do Maths Extension 2 in my school and only 10 who do English Extension 2.

HSC

cccclaire said:
I think maths, because really, anyone with a basic skill in english could put together a 4u english major work if they worked hard enough at it and get a decent mark. For maths though, a certain skill is required, and there are some people, who no matter how hard they work at 4u maths won't be able to do it.
quoted as FACT

Zephyrio

HSC

mythical chaos said:
quoted as FACT
Postmodernist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)