Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

YO!

• ME2

Votes: 243 60.4%
  • EE2

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • Neither - It's a silly question

Votes: 57 14.2%

• Total voters

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Re: Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extensio

I wish I was smart enough to do both!
I remember when I wasi n year 10 I was like..yeah I'll do Mx2 AND Ex2 i'll be soooo smart lol
OH i miss ignorance

runnable

HSC
Re: Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extensio

lyounamu said:
You merely interpeted in that particular way. My statement was straightforward and I clearly stated that it was only an example.
Your statement was prone to misinterpretation. Might want to make them more succint and concise next time, especially on the net where there are lurkers just waiting to pounce on you.

Habibi07

HSC
im gonna say that their equally prestigious, it just depends on the cirlce your in. i have multiple friends who do ext2 maths so the fact that i do ext 2 english is really shocking to them

someone said that maths requires a special type of skill and ability which is definately true, but i dont think people realise just how much work ext2 english is.
i understand that maths takes an amazing amount of work and understanding, but people just see the ext2 major assessment as a bit of a farce, something that can be done easily...believe me its not...and its not just the simple fact of writing a story, its writing a story, keeping a log book of every single thing you think in relation to your story, editing your story multiple times and including proof of that editing in your log book, getting critisim from teachers on a piece of work that you put your blood, sweat and tears into...and because most of us that do it are creative minded, a lot of emotion goes into it...and once you work on the same story for a year you get pretty attached to it and it becomes about a heck of a lot more than just getting a good mark.

thats my 2 cents...i just wish people would stop seeing what i do as "easy". you do it , then tell me its easy

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

phosphorescent said:
Although Maths Extension 2 does scale better, I do believe English Extension 2 is by far more prestigious. Personally, I think it's much more difficult to do well in - usually there's about 80 or so people who do Maths Extension 2 in my school and only 10 who do English Extension 2.
I agree. MX2 scales heaps better, but EX2 is a lot more 'prestigious'.

Aplus

HSC
N/A

Who cares how prestigious the subject is. You should be doing it because you enjoy it.

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC

cccclaire said:
I think maths, because really, anyone with a basic skill in english could put together a 4u english major work if they worked hard enough at it and get a decent mark. For maths though, a certain skill is required, and there are some people, who no matter how hard they work at 4u maths won't be able to do it.
Wow, that's so untrue. Of course anyone can put together a story, but is it going to be any good? No matter how much you try, you need talent, imagination and depth to pull off even a decent story.

caswell1515

HSC
lyounamu said:
Nah, I disagree. Both works require a intensive work and great degree of effort and natural talent to get a good result.
well i have a friend who is mediocre at 2 unit advanced english, wrote in his journal thingo major work everyday for like 30minutes/1hour for ext 2 english and ended up getting 95 for it.

whereas i know people who were accelerants in maths and got 98 for their Maths in 2006 and in 2007 for maths 4unit they got like 85. id say maths extension 2 requires ALOT more skill to do.

i know some1 who does both this year and says that maths extension 2 takes alot out of him.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
this is quite possibly the dumbest question posted on the forum.

how and why does it matter which subject is more prestigeous?

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Razzah said:
Why are there 09ers commenting on this? Wait 'til you actually get there. Without a doubt its Maths.
That comes under the assumption that we don't already do Maths Extension 2. Also, can I ask why you are commenting in this thread as well then? I mean... from your argument, people who don't do English Extension 2 shouldn't comment as well. I mean, you don't even do Extension English! Double standards much?

Razzah said:
At least wait until you get into year 12 and are doing extension 2 maths before you start getting all cocky
Like I said, if you're gonna use that argument, you shouldn't be talking shit as well, considering you're not doing English Extension 2 and thus have no room to talk. Don't think that just because you're in Year 12, you can act like you're some hardcore shit - you're not. :rolleyes:

Razzah

HSC
Continuum said:
That comes under the assumption that we don't already do Maths Extension 2. Also, can I ask why you are commenting in this thread as well then? I mean... from your argument, people who don't do English Extension 2 shouldn't comment as well. I mean, you don't even do Extension English! Double standards much?

Like I said, if you're gonna use that argument, you shouldn't be talking shit as well, considering you're not doing English Extension 2 and thus have no room to talk. Don't think that just because you're in Year 12, you can act like you're some hardcore shit - you're not. :rolleyes:
Okay first of all, 09ers have not done year 12 ANYTHING. I have done year 12 extension 2 maths, and some year 12 extension 1 english. I also have friends who do the other courses and I see a lot of their work and gain an understanding of what it takes to do the subject.

In short, the preliminary course is nothing, so you can't make blanket statements on either extension 2 course.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Razzah said:
Okay first of all, 09ers have not done year 12 ANYTHING. I have done year 12 extension 2 maths, and some year 12 extension 1 english. I also have friends who do the other courses and I see a lot of their work and gain an understanding of what it takes to do the subject.

In short, the preliminary course is nothing, so you can't make blanket statements on either extension 2 course.
Ever heard of acceleration?
Besides, why can't 09ers comment, it's an open thread and everyone should be able to voice their opinions - its a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with them.

As a few have said, they are both extremely difficult courses, and anyone who does these courses and succeeds should be very proud.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Razzah said:
Work on your English - I mean, did you even read anything I said? Also, how do you know that 09ers have not done Year 12 'ANYTHING'? Tutor? Acceleration? Geez, you're narrow. By the way, I talk to Year 12s often, so the 'I see a lot of their work and gain an understanding of what it takes to do the subject' doesn't work at all.

Razzah said:
Haha, neither can you! Your understanding of English Extension 2 is essentially on the same level. So why not you take those words and throw them right back at yourself. Nice work Razzah, nice work. :rolleyes:

Go study for your trials or HSC or something - English preferably. ;)

u-borat

Banned
HSC

phosphorescent said:
Wow, that's so untrue. Of course anyone can put together a story, but is it going to be any good? No matter how much you try, you need talent, imagination and depth to pull off even a decent story.
yup, and in terms of workload, you need little.

contrasting with 4 unit maths; where you not only need the intelligence and ability to grasp hard concepts, but also the hard work to perservere.

but none of this really answers the question of which is more prestiguous to be honest...:uhhuh:

DomHarris

HSC

phosphorescent said:
Although Maths Extension 2 does scale better, I do believe English Extension 2 is by far more prestigious. Personally, I think it's much more difficult to do well in - usually there's about 80 or so people who do Maths Extension 2 in my school and only 10 who do English Extension 2.
the amount of people doing a subject at your school doesnt decide the difficulty of a course...it might be the best in the state but it doesnt decide everything regarding the hsc.

how is this for a figure?

2007: 32.2% of Extension 2 English candidates got above 45/50
2007: 33% of 4 unit maths candidates got the same.

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC

DomHarris said:
the amount of people doing a subject at your school doesnt decide the difficulty of a course...it might be the best in the state but it doesnt decide everything regarding the hsc.

how is this for a figure?

2007: 32.2% of Extension 2 English candidates got above 45/50
2007: 33% of 4 unit maths candidates got the same.
When did I ever say my school decided everything for the state? I'm just putting out that the particular school I go to has such contrasting numbers - which may or may not be a good indication.

Just.Snaz

HSC

I think English is more prestigious.. like, yeah I do E2 Maths but English just seem so sophisticated to me... It needs such an immense level of creativity, it astounds me how people can think of such weird stories. But then again, EE2 needs alot of skill and creativity to be able to choose the right method of working out etc..

But still, if I could speak eloquently with a wide vocab and write beautiful essays, shit I'd be Queen Prestige. Like, if someone came upto you and blurted out some major philosphical views on life (which I reckon English teaches).. they might as well slap you in the face and say BITCH I'M PRESTIGIOUS.

But if someone reiterated complex mathematical formulas, it'd be.. meh? okay, you're a nerd, go back to your study hole and learn some more..

Anyways, that's just how I see things. I go to a school that sees Maths as assumed knowledge. I don't see maths as a subject, but rather, something that I've got into a habit of studying.

I'm sick, I know.. but I'll be getting back to my hole now..

Wassup?

Banned
HSC

Just.Snaz said:
I think English is more prestigious.. like, yeah I do E2 Maths but English just seem so sophisticated to me... It needs such an immense level of creativity, it astounds me how people can think of such weird stories. But then again, EE2 needs alot of skill and creativity to be able to choose the right method of working out etc..

But still, if I could speak eloquently with a wide vocab and write beautiful essays, shit I'd be Queen Prestige. Like, if someone came upto you and blurted out some major philosphical views on life (which I reckon English teaches).. they might as well slap you in the face and say BITCH I'M PRESTIGIOUS.

But if someone reiterated complex mathematical formulas, it'd be.. meh? okay, you're a nerd, go back to your study hole and learn some more..

Anyways, that's just how I see things. I go to a school that sees Maths as assumed knowledge. I don't see maths as a subject, but rather, something that I've got into a habit of studying.

I'm sick, I know.. but I'll be getting back to my hole now..
That's the exact way I feel.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad

does it even matter which one is better? in uni no one gives a shit

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

runnable said:
Your statement was prone to misinterpretation. Might want to make them more succint and concise next time, especially on the net where there are lurkers just waiting to pounce on you.
Sorry, in future I shall adjust to my posts for people who cannot understand English to the extent where most people can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)