Who uses their ipod while studying? (1 Viewer)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I remember when I used to do maths, (haw) I could listen to music and it would be fine.

I found this year though, that I also got used to doing my work in silence, and that music was a distraction because I'd either feel like dancing, just stop writing and stare at the wall listening, or the lyrics would stop me from concentrating on what I was reading. So yeah as much as I'd love to say it's fine... I don't recommend it. Guess it depends on the person though.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I generally always listened to my music whilst studying.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I listen to my iPod whilst doing any sort of homework or even maths study, but for the subjects where you have to summaries stuff into study notes i cant i just do it while my mum is at work and everything is quiet, but i've only ever made summaries the first week of prelims as i had 3 days off :p
Also, I don't do just instrumental stuff, I just sing along whilst doing the questions for maths, I do that in all my exams without music anyway. I get songs stuck in my head and mouth the words whilst doing the questions.

CecilyMare

HSC
i always study with the tv on. so i don't feel alienated from doing monotonous shit the whole time for the heck of hsc.

plshelp

HSC
I can't focus with music when studying. I listen to music when I do Maths homework.
same as me. I can ONLY do maths hw and listen to music at the same time otherwise i get distracted and start singing or playing the air guitar

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Unless it is very quiet, I always listen to my mp3.

I just listen to my normal music - not just classics or anything in particular. Love listening to rock though.

Zee Zappo

HSC
Eh no way. I can't concentrate on anything but the music and start singing along, especially cos I listen to rock and you know it's really catchy :D
So nope, I prefer the sounds of cars and my siblings shouting then music cos at least I can block them out.

red-butterfly

HSC
Listening to my ipod really does help me study. It helped drown out everything else that was going on around me. It helped me keep focus and concentrated.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
generally, listening to music while studying is a bad idea - especially if it has lyrics. this is because your memory system works on you 'encoding' the information into memory files to be retrieved at a later stage. thing is, your brain doesn't differentiate WHERE the words come from and processes both audio and visual words as one constant stream. so if you're listening to music with lyrics, those words are getting encoded equally with what you're studying.

additionally, when trying to retrieve information (such as in an exam), retrieval processes work best when the context of encoding and the context of retrieval are the same (this is why some people joke you should go into an exam drunk, but that only works if you were studying drunk, which is obviously not as effective as doing both sober). You can't take music into an exam, so it's recommended that you study in an environment as similiar as possible to your exam environment ie quite space, no music, no food, etc.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There is of course, the idea of musically enforced learning. So you learn to associate different ideas/quotes/formulas to song lyrics or certain melodies. By remembering the song, and thinking about it during the exam, it triggers those learned phrases. I can't say how effective it is, but its an interesting approach to study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)