Why is Corby guilty? (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
go_swans said:
these days theres no point locking your bags. if they wanna get into ur bag, they will. When i was leaving LA i had my bag locked, and the lady made me unlock it cuz they open ur bags anyway apparently
That's because your going through customs. It's always better to be safe than sorry. What's unlocking your bag for the custom officer? Nothing compared to an unlocked bag which is an easy target for traffickers.

HSC
santaslayer said:
That's because your going through customs. It's always better to be safe than sorry. What's unlocking your bag for the custom officer? Nothing compared to an unlocked bag which is an easy target for traffickers.
yeah but trafickers can easily open a locked bag.

_Benji_

HSC
white_spazzy said:
spoken like a true society and culture student...

i think that without hearing the full case and having all the evidence sitting in front of you, you cannot really pass an informed judgement. All we can base our conclusions on is our feelings.

20 years is very harsh, does anyone think that she will be sent back to australia after the appeals process, if she does not get off that way?
lol ;)

true, its a catch 22 situation. On one hand you have to accept the law of the country, but on the other is your values of the legal system in ur own country.

But I think even under indonesian laws there were elements of her trial that were unfair due to the nature of a judical system in a developing country.

_Benji_

HSC
what I would like to see is a prisoner exchange scheme similar to the one Indonesia has with France.
In that case, upon being transferred to France, the prisoner can be retrialed under French law. It takes a good 5 yrs or so to be eligible for transfer though.

The one Downer hopes to set up with Indonesia however, means that she will not be re-trialed, instead she will just serve the rest of her Indonesian sentence.

santaslayer

HSC
_Benji_ said:
what I would like to see is a prisoner exchange scheme similar to the one Indonesia has with France.
In that case, upon being transferred to France, the prisoner can be retrialed under French law. It takes a good 5 yrs or so to be eligible for transfer though.

The one Downer hopes to set up with Indonesia however, means that she will not be re-trialed, instead she will just serve the rest of her Indonesian sentence.
Your effectively undermining the other state's soverignty.

_Benji_

HSC
no, your right, i completely agree with that. I just find the concept of one serving time in prison for a crime they might be innocent of by the laws of that country to be unfair.

Anyway, Australia wouldn't set up a transfer scheme in which that would happen.

But then serving 20yrs in aust will be a hell of a lot better than in Indonesia.

hmm it reminds me of the Guentanemo bay issue where David Hicks (think it was him) couldn't be charged under australian law, cos there was no law, so they had to keep him there.

spell check

HSC
santaslayer said:
That is easily detectable and will prove to be a strong case for Corby.
oh really?

well they 'detected' a corrupt racket of baggage handlers operating the same day she caught her plane but that didn't help her :rolleyes:

santaslayer

HSC
spell check said:
oh really?

well they 'detected' a corrupt racket of baggage handlers operating the same day she caught her plane but that didn't help her :rolleyes:
There wasn't any evidence that incident related to this one. Talk about being impartial.

spell check

HSC
santaslayer said:
There wasn't any evidence that incident related to this one. Talk about being impartial.
there would be if they had weighed and fingerprinted the bags

_Benji_

HSC
spell check said:
there would be if they had weighed and fingerprinted the bags
im pretty sure they would have worn gloves, but if they hadn't destroyed her weighting records, yes.....
anyway its questionable i mean a drug ring on same day + drugs found in bag =?

HSC
If she wasn't hot and didn't have big tits nobody would be interested in her case.

Anyone know of that 16 year old Australian-Thailand boy who was sentenced to 10 - 20 years jail (exact figure I forget) in a similar South-Eastern country? Do you think he'll have a prisoner exchange fastracked because of how attractive he is?

I really does hope they prosecution appeals the sentence, as unpatriotic as that sounds I don't think that the defence but up a good argument - she was lucky to escape being locked away for life.

I'm just hoping this soap opera will soon be over.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
_Benji_ said:
no, your right, i completely agree with that. I just find the concept of one serving time in prison for a crime they might be innocent of by the laws of that country to be unfair.

Anyway, Australia wouldn't set up a transfer scheme in which that would happen.

But then serving 20yrs in aust will be a hell of a lot better than in Indonesia.

hmm it reminds me of the Guentanemo bay issue where David Hicks (think it was him) couldn't be charged under australian law, cos there was no law, so they had to keep him there.
They didn't have to keep Hicks there, however, as he could not be charged under Australian law, but could be charged under American law they decided to keep him there to charge him.

People might be innocent of all sorts of things but they are still locked away, often without the emotional outpouring seen here.

danie

a fool
HSC
i've been in lurker mode around these parts and ntb seems to have hit the nail right on the head with his arguments. all in all interesting views.

my only gripe is the fuckwit who keeps referring to the indonesian legal system as unreliable due to it being a "developing country".

to clear up a few things, a common law system (trail by jury of peers with an emphasis on oral argument) is only used in australia, britain and some of it's colonies and the u.s. while the majority of the world (incl. indonesia and other OECD countries) use the civil law system (trail by judges with an emphasis on written argument) based on the european model. as with common law, civil law acts on the assumption of innocence until proven guilty not as people have misconceived, guilty until proven innocent. a civil law system is more resistent to misinformed, subjective and "gut feeling" sentencing.

at the end of the day the lawyers are still lawyers and the judges are still judges, and because they live in a "developing country" does not make them any less qualified than lawyers and judges trained in australia.

corby had drugs in a bag that was in her possession and brought it to indonesia, technically it is trafficking whether it was intentional or not.

i am not assuming her guilt, but i am not assuming her innocence either. to reiterate asqy, don't make sweeping comments on her innocence OR guilt without hard evidence that you know for a fact.

peace.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
The only problem with the Civil Court is that it gives one person alot of judicial power. Still, it works (as alot of countries, including the rich ones). The arguments that the Indonesian courts are horribly corrupt may have merit to them, but are basically assertions, meaning they have little credibility.

As for the fuss over the John Ford guy, he just comes across as a dumbass attention whore. He heard a bunch of other people talking about using Corby as a mule. This is hearsay, you can't test the validity with cross-examination. No one accepts hearsay evidence, not even the much vaunted Australian legal system. Obviously, the Indonesians do not. All of a sudden, we have an outcry about how John's evidence was not admitted means that the Indonesian legal system is biased.

I would have to say, however, that the Bored of Studies website is relatively unbiased compared to, say, the Telegraph. It's fairly balanced towards both sides, but leans slightly towards the 'guilty' verdict. Oh well, you can never have a perfect balance of opinion. Nevertheless, I give this whole board a big thumbs up, despite the slight homophobia of the place.

evil99

HSC
go_swans said:
Corby is guily because ............ i bas this on ...........?

edit: noone knows for sure, except her so this is just ppls opinions!!
she found guilty, because there is no evidence showing her not guiltyl, simple philosophy

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
absolution* said:
The Australian public is so pathetic. At least Corby got a trial, unlike the "terrorists" over in guantanamo. Im fucking moving to Russia.

hey why russia? becuase u can bribe a cop and get away from a crime u did commit? ok good choice comrade

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Italian Hotshot said:
If she wasn't hot and didn't have big tits nobody would be interested in her case.

Anyone know of that 16 year old Australian-Thailand boy who was sentenced to 10 - 20 years jail (exact figure I forget) in a similar South-Eastern country? Do you think he'll have a prisoner exchange fastracked because of how attractive he is?

I really does hope they prosecution appeals the sentence, as unpatriotic as that sounds I don't think that the defence but up a good argument - she was lucky to escape being locked away for life.

I'm just hoping this soap opera will soon be over.

give me some evidence of this boy. i dont belivve ui

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)