would you stop buying hard copies of books and download them off the net? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Nooo!

There's nothing more magical than having a hard copy of a book and reading it that way. There's something majestic in the turning of the pages and that 'book' smell imho.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I prefer printed books, doesn't feel right actually paying for ebooks either and i'm not the only one with that sentiment so i think physical books are safe from being replaced by ebooks.

Also, while on the topic i'm not a fan of how tablets have effectively killed off ebook readers either.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
No, this is precisely why so many of our bookstores are closing down. Independent book stores are struggling even harder!

Maybe it's the sense of tradition, maybe it's just in the mind but reading a physical copy of a book is a part of the book reading experience for me. I do own a few e-copies but I can't really get into as much.

The smell/feel of books = much too lovely to abandon.

kat12345

HSC
N/A
I'm a fan of paper books.
Electronics burn my eyes if I stare for too long, but I can read books all day without them hurting.

I guess I also like the whole nostalgia and feel of book and paper in general. I bought a laptop when I started uni, but I only use it for assignments because I just prefer the feel of using paper to learn :)

Plus in my room I have a shelf where I keep all my favourite books. So many memories and stories, so many beautiful worn books! :p

mebandal

HSC
Umm..probably not....I personally find no difference between using them, but what do you if the technology breaks down or something? Plus, call me weird, but I like the smell of new book :lol:

Deliriously

HSC
Books and novels - I wouldn't mind reading on a screen because you only have to read in one direction.
Textbooks - I prefer having the actual book because its hard to flick back and forth on a screen and it just feels weird.

But if I had a choice whether to buy the actual book or buy the electronic copy, I would definitely choose the book.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Books and novels - I wouldn't mind reading on a screen because you only have to read in one direction.
Textbooks - I prefer having the actual book because its hard to flick back and forth on a screen and it just feels weird.

But if I had a choice whether to buy the actual book or buy the electronic copy, I would definitely choose the book.
See, I'd prefer it the other way round. With a pdf textbooks, it's so much faster to find the information you need quickly. With a regular book, it doesn't really matter where stuff is, because you're constantly going forward.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Umm..probably not....I personally find no difference between using them, but what do you if the technology breaks down or something? Plus, call me weird, but I like the smell of new book :lol:
That's not weird :) I smell my books when I buy them :p

madharris

HSC
N/A
I prefer hard copies, just because I find that I absorb knowledge a lot more easier when it's a hard copy

Zelda_1

HSC
No I wouldn't stop buying hard copies I prefer having hard copies to read rather than electronic copies.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally wouldn't stop buying hard copies-reading on the computer over a prolonged period of time is much more tiring for me than reading a hard copy book. I love the feel and smell of books, the creases of the page as they age, and the smoothness of the cover(since I contact all my books). I believe flicking through books is an essential part of the experience of ENJOYMENT of reading. For subjects such as Maths related textbooks, it is also much easier to have the hard copy textbook which offers the ease of quicker checking of answers(besides, I tend to get distracted a lot when I read books using an electronic device as I can't resist the temptation to wander off to watch videos and read articles in other websites). HARD copies will always triumph over SOFT copies for me:)

dirty_ink

HSC
^This.

Also, I have a weird thing for paper, and there's definitely something satisfying about cracking open a book one day and then turning over the last page days later. It's an experience you can only achieve through reading a proper book.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally wouldn't stop buying hard copies-reading on the computer over a prolonged period of time is much more tiring for me than reading a hard copy book. I love the feel and smell of books, the creases of the page as they age, and the smoothness of the cover(since I contact all my books). I believe flicking through books is an essential part of the experience of ENJOYMENT of reading. For subjects such as Maths related textbooks, it is also much easier to have the hard copy textbook which offers the ease of quicker checking of answers(besides, I tend to get distracted a lot when I read books using an electronic device as I can't resist the temptation to wander off to watch videos and read articles in other websites). HARD copies will always triumph over SOFT copies for me:)
Thisss

breitil

HSC
I've developed a habit of downloading and reading books on my iphone and if I like them, I'll buy the hard cover. I'm obsessed with bookshelves though so I want as many books as I can, but then again I've gotten used to reading on my phone :/

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I honestly love being able to hold a tangible paperback book. I love the feel of actually flipping pages and the smell it gives off.

Plus, I find it much more comfortable to read with a book, then off a screen.

ShadowLighte

HSC
I also love the feel of reading tangible books and the feeling of accomplishment as you turn the pages and know you're close to the end.

However, I find it a lot more convenient reading it in Ebook form. As of the past few years, I've been reading on my phone. It's easier to read on the train or when you're on the go rather than taking a physical copy in and out of your bag instead of simply turn the phone off.

If I read a book and love it, I would definitely buy the hard copy though. Hard cover every time, if possible.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Brand new book smell is worth the big hit to your wallet.

(Well it depends on the book but if I am investing in a book as my goto source for something in particular for years down in the future then yes I will buy it most likely.)

notthistime

HSC
I hate reading off a screen!!! I prefer to actually turn the pages of a hard copy book.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)