Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
These are my marks for maths:
Topic test 1: 54.5% (5% weighting)
Topic test 2: 15.8% (5% weighting)
Maths assignment: 96% (20% weighting)
Term 1 exam: 43.4% (20% weighting)
Topic test 3: 60% (5% weighting)
Term 2 exam: 54.2% (30% weighting)

Can anyone please tell me what mark out of 100 I am most likely going to get for my report with my marks?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
These are my marks for maths:
Topic test 1: 54.5% (5% weighting)
Topic test 2: 15.8% (5% weighting)
Maths assignment: 96% (20% weighting)
Term 1 exam: 43.4% (20% weighting)
Topic test 3: 60% (5% weighting)
Term 2 exam: 54.2% (30% weighting)

Can anyone please tell me what mark out of 100 I am most likely going to get for my report with my marks?
I do not mean to offend you or appear rude out of saying this, but your are looking at a high C or low B, depending on how your school distributes gradings. Does your school base it on the ranks or is there a certain mark you must achieve to attain an A?

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I do not mean to offend you or appear rude out of saying this, but your are looking at a high C or low B, depending on how your school distributes gradings. Does your school base it on the ranks or is there a certain mark you must achieve to attain an A?
Not offensive at all, Demento :) My school bases it on a certain mark. What final mark would I get based on the marks I have received in my exams? I think there might be another topic test but other than that I have no idea where the other 15% is

oxymoron

HSC
N/A
Not offensive at all, Demento :) My school bases it on a certain mark. What final mark would I get based on the marks I have received in my exams? I think there might be another topic test but other than that I have no idea where the other 15% is
your final mark will range from 51 - 76/100 depending on how well you do with the last 15%. If your grades are centered around your cohort, it will depend how well everyone else did so it could range from a D to an A. However, if your grades are centered around marks, then you are definitely in for a C and maybe just scraping a B. :)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
your final mark will range from 51 - 76/100 depending on how well you do with the last 15%. If your grades are centered around your cohort, it will depend how well everyone else did so it could range from a D to an A. However, if your grades are centered around marks, then you are definitely in for a C and maybe just scraping a B. :)
Thanks! Do you think I should ask where the last 15% will be or would that be a bit rude?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks! Do you think I should ask where the last 15% will be or would that be a bit rude?
I think it is in the right of the student to know the weightings of certain things.

So I think you should ask. (be polite and they won't refuse)

Triage

HSC
N/A
I just moved schools in year 10 and am struggling. I was doing really well last year at my old school but now in English I am getting around 11-13/15 when some people are getting 15/15. Science and math is a totally different expectation here as well. Any advice?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I just moved schools in year 10 and am struggling. I was doing really well last year at my old school but now in English I am getting around 11-13/15 when some people are getting 15/15. Science and math is a totally different expectation here as well. Any advice?
You should be familiar with what your class is learning and adjust to your new school.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Does anyone else have any other estimates to what my final mark could be?

Last edited:

kev-

HSC
I'm saying 60-70 / 100. My first estimate though.. might be dodgy.

Wonder

HSC
Does anyone else have any other estimates to what my final mark could be?
Around 60 I think. Interesting that you have so many tests at your school, my school has far less in Maths with each one weighted 50% or so. xD

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
My school has invited about 85 students in year 10 to come to a meeting night in the next few weeks. It is about accelerating classes and it states that those invited may get the chance to accelerate courses.

What I want to know is, if I am able to accelerate a course, should I? What are the advantages?

What courses is a student able to accelerate in?

kev-

HSC
If you want one less subject to study for your Year 12 HSC, you should accelerate. It requires dedication and passion towards the subject though, because you're going to be most likely taking early/late classes.
The advantages are that you can focus on other subjects, since your accelerated course is already done in Year 11... that's all I can think about from the top of my head.
only heard of accelerated maths and IPT. I'm pretty sure there's more though.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
If you want one less subject to study for your Year 12 HSC, you should accelerate. It requires dedication and passion towards the subject though, because you're going to be most likely taking early/late classes.
The advantages are that you can focus on other subjects, since your accelerated course is already done in Year 11... that's all I can think about from the top of my head.
only heard of accelerated maths and IPT. I'm pretty sure there's more though.
All of what this person has stated is relevant. Just to elaborate further upon this, people choose to accelerate for quite a number of other reasons. What follows:

Safety net opportunity - i.e. Having the chance to undertake the similar exam under less pressure.

The challenge - To do things at an appropriate level to you.

Freedom to do extra units - Freeing up allocated units, thus also saving time.

Feeling you have when you finish an exam - i.e. The feel from completing an exam against your cohort who has not already done it.

Social and intellectual implications - The chance to give you an edge, by having developed HSC skills in your arsenal. Respect and admiration amongst peers due to actions.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Thanks kev- and Demento :) Do you guys plan to accelerate in any subjects next year (excluding the subjects that you are accelerating in now)?

kev-

HSC
My school does not offer any accelerated courses except for IPT, which was apparently done this year... Even if there are any options, I wouldn't consider it because personally I like to go at a slower speed, understanding the concepts better.
Are you thinking of doing any?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
^ Does anyone know? :)
Depends, every school accelerates different things.

Baulko - economics, my school - chemistry, fort street + penrith - 3u maths, nsb + nsg + ruse - ipt, ruse - sdd, sydney tech - ipt + business studies, sbhs - modern history + geography + business studies + 2u maths, normanhurst boys - geography + society and culture

so yeah, there's a wide variety of subjects one can accelerate.

if possible, i'd recommend accelerating 2u/3u maths, chem/eco/phys, modern history.

those are good courses to accelerate imo^^

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
My school does not offer any accelerated courses except for IPT, which was apparently done this year... Even if there are any options, I wouldn't consider it because personally I like to go at a slower speed, understanding the concepts better.
Are you thinking of doing any?
If I can accelerate in any courses, I will definitely take that chance! :) However I will only accelerate in courses I am good at and/or really interested in

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Depends, every school accelerates different things.

Baulko - economics, my school - chemistry, fort street + penrith - 3u maths, nsb + nsg + ruse - ipt, ruse - sdd, sydney tech - ipt + business studies, sbhs - modern history + geography + business studies + 2u maths, normanhurst boys - geography + society and culture

so yeah, there's a wide variety of subjects one can accelerate.

if possible, i'd recommend accelerating 2u/3u maths, chem/eco/phys, modern history.

those are good courses to accelerate imo^^
If I can accelerate chemistry, economics or modern history then I would certainly accept! But why are they good courses to accelerate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)