Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of textbooks do have additional info that isn't required by the syllabus. From recollection, biotech is in the course and so is natural selection but I could be wrong.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
A lot of textbooks do have additional info that isn't required by the syllabus. From recollection, biotech is in the course and so is natural selection but I could be wrong.
In regards to the syllabus I posted, is that the most recent one or am I looking at the wrong one?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
If you go straight to the board of studies website, it should have the latest version of the syllabus on the site. This should be the latest one: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_sc/#science
I think the site also says updated in 2009. I don't know exactly what was updated or how much was changed but if a lot of changes were made, that could explain the differences if your textbook was published in 2005.

HSC
Still, I can't imagine stuff like 'the theory of evolution and natural selection' not being taught as part of the science syllabus though

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I'm sure natural selection and biotechnology is part of the syllabus.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Yes, I think natural selection is part of the school curriculum even though school certificate is rendered redundant.
I wonder how we are going to learn these things if they aren't in our textbook.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I wonder how we are going to learn these things if they aren't in our textbook.
I can give you some notes when I make them for my examinations and assignments. You would have to give me a month or so but I'll be sure to send them ASAP.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I can give you some notes when I make them for my examinations and assignments. You would have to give me a month or so but I'll be sure to send them ASAP.
That is very kind of you, thank you :) However I will try and get another textbook from the school library or the local library first to see if it is in there. Otherwise I will try to get a study guide or something.

kazemagic

HSC
as long as its not ur tests then its fine lol We never got tested on it anyway

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
as long as its not ur tests then its fine lol We never got tested on it anyway
Pretty much this. You should always ask your teacher what is being tested in an examination and decide upon that, whether you need to know so much about one topic.

That is very kind of you, thank you :) However I will try and get another textbook from the school library or the local library first to see if it is in there. Otherwise I will try to get a study guide or something.
No problem. I'll tell you when I have my notes prepared and you can choose to take them or not.

russ3l

HSC
what is everyone learning/doing in english?

I'm doing social issues and will be required to write an essay on it :)

Last edited:

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I found a study guide that has 'the theory of evolution and natural selection'. However it has nothing on biotechnology or cloning. At the moment, I can only find those two topics in my textbook. I will definitely ask my teacher again what is going to be in the exam

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
what is everyone learning/doing in english?

I'm doing social issues and will be required to write an essay on it :)
We have an assignment on appropriations of Macbeth which is due the second day back.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
10 bux hes not gonna get tested on it
I guess you are right, they cannot test us on everything. Perhaps I should come back here at the end of the year and tell you if you were correct? :p

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
oh sweet! I did Macbeth in term 1 :) we had to write an essay
Anyone else doing/did macbeth?
In term 1 we did poetry. Then we did masculinity. I think we are continuing with Macbeth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)