Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
If I can accelerate chemistry, economics or modern history then I would certainly accept! But why are they good courses to accelerate?
they are relatively good scaling, and are harder courses (at least chem and eco), so you'll have them out of the way by year 12, leaving you more time to concentrate on your other subs.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
they are relatively good scaling, and are harder courses (at least chem and eco), so you'll have them out of the way by year 12, leaving you more time to concentrate on your other subs.
How stressful is it to accelerate in more than one course?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
How stressful is it to accelerate in more than one course?
relatively. i personally wouldn't recommend it unless you KNOW that you can manage it. however, saying that, if you do accelerate multiple courses and get a low/high band 6 in them, then you've already got almost half your ATAR.

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
^ one of my friends is crazy and is accel in chem, business studies and maths

yay no more tests, happy days!

Wonder

HSC
If you're interested in languages I'm pretty sure Open High School sometimes also does acceleration.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
I was an accelerant in English and Math back in year 9 but I couldn't handle the workload so I dropped both of them early this year.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
If you're interested in languages I'm pretty sure Open High School sometimes also does acceleration.
Yes it does provide acceleration.

I was an accelerant in English and Math back in year 9 but I couldn't handle the workload so I dropped both of them early this year.
Accelerate in year 9 for HSC? Try accelerating in year 11 again and the workload might be a lot easier to manage at an older age.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Accelerate in year 9 for HSC? Try accelerating in year 11 again and the workload might be a lot easier to manage at an older age.
Well I moved schools but if I stayed at my old school, i'd be doing my HSC next year. Unfortunately, my new school doesn't offer acceleration.

kazemagic

HSC
idk about you guys, but open highschool seems really shit. My friend is do open high for jap, and it doesn't seem you learn much from it

Wonder

HSC
idk about you guys, but open highschool seems really shit. My friend is do open high for jap, and it doesn't seem you learn much from it
I've just heard that you need to be really self-motivated with any distance education? Plus I guess it depends on your teacher.

They can't be completely bad, in 2011 they had quite a few state rankers.

xDarkSilent

HSC
Uni Grad
Just remember year 9/10's what you do this year, what you are best at, will lead to what subjects you do for year 11/12 :)
Make a wise choice, do what you like, not what scales and what not :)

iBibah

HSC
Just remember year 9/10's what you do this year, what you are best at, will lead to what subjects you do for year 11/12 :)
Make a wise choice, do what you like, not what scales and what not :)
It depends on what you hope to get out of the HSC. If your primary goal in the HSC is have a learning experience, then you are correct. However if your primary goal is to get the best possible ATAR, then you are wrong. If you want to maximize your ATAR, you must consider scaling. For most people who want high ATARs, scaling plays a role regardless of what they tell you.

That said, you definitely shouldn't choose a subject that is beyond your capabilities as scaling will do you no favors.

There is nothing wrong with choosing subjects based on scaling, it may not end well if they don't like the subject and are not willing to work in it, but it's perfectly ok to do it.

Really you should be combining the two ideas, to get subjects you enjoy which will help with it ATAR. For example if you really like history, but not maths, than instead of doing ext 1 maths, do extension history. It scales a little less but because you like it you might just get more marks out of it.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I am asking this because we haven't really been taught how to use the syllabus. Is it possible for something to be in the textbook but not in the syllabus? For example I am looking at the syllabus for science and we have been told to study from a certain chapter onwards. The only topic I can find in the syllabus from that chapter onwards is the Watson-Crick model of DNA. There is nothing on biotechnology (not in cells anyway) or cloning. This means that I cannot be examined on biotechnology or cloning, right? I am just unsure if I should study it or not in case they decide to put it in the exam since it is in the textbook.

EDIT: I cannot find 'the theory of evolution and natural selection' either. How would schools examine students on content that they haven't been taught since it isn't in the textbook?

Last edited:
HSC
I am asking this because we haven't really been taught how to use the syllabus. Is it possible for something to be in the textbook but not in the syllabus? For example I am looking at the syllabus for science and we have been told to study from a certain chapter onwards. The only topic I can find in the syllabus from that chapter onwards is the Watson-Crick model of DNA. There is nothing on biotechnology (not in cells anyway) or cloning. This means that I cannot be examined on biotechnology or cloning, right? I am just unsure if I should study it or not in case they decide to put it in the exam since it is in the textbook.
In general, yes definitely

However I'm pretty sure biotechnology is in the syllabus since I had to do a research assignment on it, plus it was the last extended response in the School Certificate Science last year. Are you sure you haven't skipped anything by accident?

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
In general, yes definitely

However I'm pretty sure biotechnology is in the syllabus since I had to do a research assignment on it, plus it was the last extended response in the School Certificate Science last year. Are you sure you haven't skipped anything by accident?
I've looked through the syllabus again and I cannot find anything under cells for biotechnology or cloning. I've also looked through the textbook again and I cannot find anything on 'the theory of evolution and natural selection'.

I am looking through this: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_sc/pdf_doc/science-syllabus-7-10.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)