Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Except that he said that he also got under 60% in his T1 exam which had a 20% weighting. Just making a general comment though, don't worry about your grade. For example, last year (Year 11), no one in my year got an A for english and this is at a selective school. The most important thing in junior years is building a solid foundation, especially so in subjects like maths. Therefore I don't think you should be worried too much about getting the required marks to do MX1 (because angry parents accomplish a lot). Rather, make sure you really understand year 9 and 10 maths properly and then the marks will flow naturally from that.
Listen to this wise guy.

Enjoy Years 9 & 10 because they are literally the best years in your high school life.

Ellaphant

HSC
Is anyone going to choose Bio, Chem & Physics in year 11? I'm scared I'll fail at doing all three of them :< I don't know why but my school is having subject selections sometime in Term 2 so I really need to get my mind set..

deswa1

HSC
Is anyone going to choose Bio, Chem & Physics in year 11? I'm scared I'll fail at doing all three of them :< I don't know why but my school is having subject selections sometime in Term 2 so I really need to get my mind set..
Why would you come into your subject choices with an expectation to fail? If you like science, go for it. Someone at my school a few years back did the 3 sciences and got 100 UAI. Basically, do stuff you like and have confidence in your ability.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you like science? Do you do well in science?
If you like science, do science. If you like social science, do social science. If you like history, do history.
Take into account your performance in each faculty as well.
No point doing biology if you are not meant for biology. No point doing Chemistry if you know you will smash something like Business Studies.

deswa1

HSC
Do you like science? Do you do well in science?
If you like science, do science. If you like social science, do social science. If you like history, do history.
Take into account your performance in each faculty as well.
No point doing biology if you are not meant for biology. No point doing Chemistry if you know you will smash something like Business Studies.
This is well said. All year 10's take note of this. Also, just a bit of a personal story, don't pick subjects purely for scaling. Even though I do the so called 'Asian 5', I enjoy all of my subjects. This is probably the main reason I do well at school - its not hard for me for to study maths for example because its interesting.

Ellaphant

HSC
Of course I like science! But I think the intimidating fact is that having them all together will cause me to flunk at least one :<

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I do all 3 sciences and I find that by doing all 3, it actually makes things a bit easier. You'll find some concepts overlap (like you'll do nuclear stuff in both chem and physics) and it helps with your understanding. So if you like science, go for it!! :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Of course I like science! But I think the intimidating fact is that having them all together will cause me to flunk at least one :<
Do you have any interest in other faculties like history or social science?

Ellaphant

HSC
I really like ancient history.. not a social science fan though

deswa1

HSC
With an attitude like that, you probably will fail one of them. I know I've probably been saying too many personal stories recently but I think the reason why I topped maths last year at school was because I was confident in my ability. There were some questions that had iffy answers and if you second-guessed yourself, you would have wasted time and probably gotten it wrong. Don't be an arrogant prick but be confident in your ability. There's no reason why you can't rip all three- look at Kamal15 on this forum, he stated ranked in all three.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I really like ancient history.. not a social science fan though
Then do Ancient History and 2 sciences if you feel that 3 sciences are too much....

Follow what you like/love and reject what you hate.

Ellaphant

HSC
With an attitude like that, you probably will fail one of them. I know I've probably been saying too many personal stories recently but I think the reason why I topped maths last year at school was because I was confident in my ability. There were some questions that had iffy answers and if you second-guessed yourself, you would have wasted time and probably gotten it wrong. Don't be an arrogant prick but be confident in your ability. There's no reason why you can't rip all three- look at Kamal15 on this forum, he stated ranked in all three.
What subjects are you doing :eek:

deswa1

HSC
In my sig- MX2, Physics, Chemistry, Economics and Advanced english

theind1996

HSC
N/A
LOL Kamal didn't do Physics at all. However, he is a good example of a 99.95 student with only 1 of the "Big 3" subjects - (Phys, Chem and Eco) since he did Chem, Modern and Bio (although he did 4u maths). You don't have to do all high scaling subjects to get a Good ATAR YEAR 10'ERS.

deswa1

HSC
LOL Kamal didn't do Physics at all. However, he is a good example of a 99.95 student with only 1 of the "Big 3" subjects - (Phys, Chem and Eco) since he did Chem, Modern and Bio (although he did 4u maths). You don't have to do all high scaling subjects to get a Good ATAR YEAR 10'ERS.
Whoops, strong fail from me. I was thinking of another user (Jayson 89).

Last edited:

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Whoops, strong fail from me. I was thinking of another user (J something). I'll track it down and post it.
Jayson Jeganathan (I think he got 100 UMAT as well) - freak of nature.

Ellaphant

HSC
Oh rightio, didn't take notice of that sorry HAHA... and I'm guessing your passing most of your exams with flying colours huh?

deswa1

HSC
deswa1 for DUX of Sydney Tech 2012 (very srs).
Hopefully but I doubt it. This last english essay that I wrote was the worst one I've ever written in my life- we'll see how I go in that.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Hopefully but I doubt it. This last english essay that I wrote was the worst one I've ever written in my life- we'll see how I go in that.
Oh well, bad luck. Does the person/s who is challenging you for DUX do similar subjects to you? What does he do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)