Accounting Cadetships 2009 (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ah geez this really reminds me of me last year haha.

Well the most important thing i think you should know is that with a cadetship, u have a job. When someone looks on your resume, they will look at your work experiences and ur achievements at a variety of levels. I personally believe that employers value such work experience much more than which university you go to. Had I NOT gotten a cadetship...and thus NOT gotten a job...it would probably be smarter for me to go to a uni with higher recognition.

So yeah...prestige is important, but with a job under your belt, u can afford to loosen up in choosing what uni u go to.

Ultimately, Macq, Sydney, UNSW, UTS and even UWS are all good enough unis to get you jobs, provided u work hard.
Thanks. I see what you mean.

pearling

HSC
N/A
Hey guys I have a KPMG interview tomorrow it didnt mention to bring anything with us but I've been to other interviews and they ask for report and citiznship papers. Should I bother bringing them just in case? Anyone been to KPMG interviews, any advice and tips? It's weird because they have two one on one interviews and no group activity. And appaently KPMG writing exercise is the hardest out of big4 =/

And I live like literally 5 min down the road from Macq but I'm still leaning towards UNSW because people I know see UMacq as this dodgy uni for rich overseas students... and I guess I kinda want uni life a bit further away from home..? And UNSW social life seems way more interesting too. Any opinions?

vanillacream

HSC
^ same here pearling! i'm considering calling them and asking.

as for universities i'm leaning towards UNSW even though it's really inconvenient for me to go there. for me i don't mind the inconveniency because the most important thing is that you like the uni you're going to.

ameher

HSC
hey ameher are you working at the parra firm or city firm for CIB??
i got an interview for the parra firm, any advice for the interview??
nice work congrats, im at the city. Tips well probably best to have read ur application form inside out and know what you have written, along with your resume. Dont be to stressed in the interview, best advice is to be yourself and you'll be fine.

pearling

HSC
N/A
^ same here pearling! i'm considering calling them and asking.

as for universities i'm leaning towards UNSW even though it's really inconvenient for me to go there. for me i don't mind the inconveniency because the most important thing is that you like the uni you're going to.
Hey there I think its a bit late calling them now eh? I guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow? Are you audit? (I'm audit) and do you know how many ppl KPMG invited for the interviews and how many places they have?

vanillacream

HSC
Hey there I think its a bit late calling them now eh? I guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow? Are you audit? (I'm audit) and do you know how many ppl KPMG invited for the interviews and how many places they have?
yeah i called them but no one picked up so i guess they're busy. i have no idea how many places they have and none of my friends got in. but they may be more than one assessment day. yep i''m audit but i also chose middle market advisory as second choice. so you bringing a resume and cover letter in case?

Borbor

HSC
Getting to Macq shouldn't be too bad? I'm assumign you live somewhere near Chatswood cause of St Pius X so just catch the 545 which goes Chatswood - Macquarie. It comes every 15 minutes althoguh the bus ride is 30 minutes.

The new train station @ Macq makes getting to the city even easier now, especially since by next year they would have fully integrated the line (i.e. no need to change trains @ Chatswood)

lsdpoon1337

HSC
What's everyone here thinking of doing as a second major in addition to accounting?

Last edited:

Mkj

HSC
nice work congrats, im at the city. Tips well probably best to have read ur application form inside out and know what you have written, along with your resume. Dont be to stressed in the interview, best advice is to be yourself and you'll be fine.
thnx....yea...im sorta scared though i hav pwc's interview tomoro n im pretty scared...dnt know wat to expect...=S but yea il try be relaxed n myself =) thnx

Mkj

HSC
can anyone whos already had an interview with pwc give any advice n tips =)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
can anyone whos already had an interview with pwc give any advice n tips =)
There are few websites that give you very good interview type questions.
I suggest you have a look into that.

But do not stress. Mostly all the interviews are quite relaxed ones. Just be yourself and try not to overally exaggerate or lie. It can turn against you badly. Make sure you mention what your qualities are and how they can help the firm.

Little bit of research on PwC's values and firm in general will be very helpful I guess.

chemmeh

HSC
I just had my KPMG interviews last friday.. overall i thought i did pretty well (despite the written assessment)...though i sounded like a complete wanker LOL

they haven't replied to me yet..does this mean i didn't get in?

Protein

HSC
I just had my KPMG interviews last friday.. overall i thought i did pretty well (despite the written assessment)...though i sounded like a complete wanker LOL

they haven't replied to me yet..does this mean i didn't get in?

They only call the top candidates directly after the interviews, there will be interviews tommorrow, wait till Wednesday afternoon. They will rank all the candidates again after the final lots of interviews and final offer will come out on Wed. I think.

Good Luck.

pearling

HSC
N/A
Hmm I was just browsing the kpmg website and came across their 'Scholarship program' for school leavers @http://www.kpmg.com.au/default.aspx?tabid=1558

This sounds really good def comparable to cadetship - but I've never heard of it what about you guys? Any opinions? They didnt really outline the application process/dates etc...

HSC
N/A
yeh i saw that as well, much better than cadetship
so i called them up, and its actually not for school leavers
rather kpmg said it may be in place for next year's 1st yr uni students

otherwise ppl would have applied for the scholarship rather than cadetship

pearling

HSC
N/A
They only call the top candidates directly after the interviews, there will be interviews tommorrow, wait till Wednesday afternoon. They will rank all the candidates again after the final lots of interviews and final offer will come out on Wed. I think.

Good Luck.
Hey there, I had my interview on monday and still havent heard anything from them. I know my chances are near zero but I still want to have it confirmed - so would it be like bad business etiquette if I call HR and ask them about my application?

Protein

HSC
i haven't got anything yet WTF
Chances getting slimmer unfortunately, especially if you do not have a phone call till 6pm today.

Cadet Post Offer Celebration :
KPMG ---> Thursday tomm. 5-7pm leaving at 6:15 then got to run to
PwC ---> Thursday tomm. 6 - 7:30
EY ---> Friday 12:30 - 2pm

Don't think they will have the 2nd offer after these celebration.

Good Luck Guys !!!

leon4u

HSC
Im currently a cadet, DONT GO TO THE BIG 4!

Best advice I can give you

The big 4 make you do filing and just simple tax returns with shit pay.. I moved to a medium sized firm and I have already started companies and super funds with a salary of 40k and have been trained appropriately your choice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)