Animal cruelty is the same as racism. (1 Viewer)

TommySix

HSC
N/A
Animal Cruelty is FAR FAR worse than racism.

That said, I'm also full blooded carnivore. Just don't be mean to kittens and puppies ok?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
did you even read that link?

Living longer seems not to be exclusively related to eating meat, though, as the results for moderate vegetarians was not statistically different from those for vegan or strict vegetarian diets.
Their "moderate vegetarian" group was a group that ate a lot of fresh produce, but also ate meat sometimes. Their health levels were no different to strict vegans who don't consume any animal products. Theres dozens of reasons why people who consume less meat than average live longer, but the most obvious one is because meat contains a lot of calories, someone who eats less meat is naturally going to be consuming less calories and hence live longer. I guess also many vegetarians are going to be heath focused as it is [they pretty much need to be to survive, you cant just live on baked beans and chips].

Heres what a simple google search found on the bennefits of meat
- ?Chris says meat is an important source of iron, which is vital for
making red blood cells.?

- ?Eating meat also aids the absorption of iron from vegetables and
cereals. ?One of the benefits of eating meat is that when you eat a
proper balanced diet it can help iron absorb into the body. A lot of
things have iron in them but you need to get it out and into the
body,? Chris says.?

?Meat: a healthy option??
http://www.discoveryhealth.co.uk/na...asp?storyid=109258&oldstoryid=113860&feature=

- ?According to nutritionists with the National Livestock and Meat
Board, in general animal foods - meat, poultry, fish and eggs -
contain top quality protein. This means all these foods supply the
necessary amounts of all essential amino acids.?

The article below includes the nutritional contents of various types of meat.

?Are We Meant to Eat Meat??
http://www.pharmvision.com/index.cf...content_detail.cfm&catID=nutfit&articleID=150

- ?it (meat) is an excellent source of the B-complex vitamins:
thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine and vitamin B12?

- ?it contains significant amounts of zinc and copper in their readily
absorbable forms?

?Meat and Healthy Eating?
http://www.picknpay.co.za/pnp/view/pnp/en/page4806?oid=10809&sn=detail

Our next article provides the benefits of meat in the diets of children and teens.

- ?It is well established that eating meat improves the quality of
nutrition, strengthens the immune system, promotes normal growth and
development, is beneficial for day-to-day health, energy and
well-being, and helps ensure optimal learning and academic
performance.?

- ?The long-term Bogalusa Heart Study finds that children who eat more
meat are less likely to have deficiencies than those who eat little or
no meat. Kids who don?t eat meat ? and especially if they restrict
other foods, as many girls are doing ? are more likely to feel tired,
apathetic, unable to concentrate, are sick more often, more frequently
depressed, and are the most likely to be malnourished and have stunted
growth. Meat and other animal-source foods are the building blocks of
healthy growth that have made America?s youngsters among the tallest,
strongest and healthiest in the world.?

?Benefits of meat for children and teens?
http://www.healthyweightnetwork.com/zart6.htm

HSC
Eating animals isn't a necessity at all.

Nah, I don't think veganism/vegetarianism should be taken on until one is about 15/16 years old. The nutrients you get from meat, while you can take supplements, is in a much more concentrated form if you just eat meat. It helps with brain development and such.

Particularly for girls - the whole period thing sends our iron levels down.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Does anyone disagree with this statement: eating meat is okay, but we need to minimise suffering to the animals and give them a decent life.

Source please. If you are talking about the calorie reduced diet that makes you live longer, you can still eat meat, just less of it. Most people who live off a solely vegetable diet are not healthy individuals...theres also plenty of evidence that suggests growing children need the proteins specifically from meat for healthy brain development.
lol, in the same paragraph you request a source for a claim and then go on to say that there is plenty of evidence for other shit you're claiming. source please.

settle*precious, the kind of kids who decide to become vegetarians at a young age will not eat meat in the name of brain development. :haha: and why would you suggest they do, when supplements are perfectly fine?

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Nah, I don't think veganism/vegetarianism should be taken on until one is about 15/16 years old. The nutrients you get from meat, while you can take supplements, is in a much more concentrated form if you just eat meat. It helps with brain development and such.

I agree.

I had a friend who went vegan from when he was 11/12 to 15 and he took supplements. He went to the doctor once for a blood test and they found he was so deficient in iron, calcium etc. that if he'd kept up his vegan lifestyle he would have been lucky to live to his mid-30's. He's a happy meat eater now :)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
I agree.

I had a friend who went vegan from when he was 11/12 to 15 and he took supplements. He went to the doctor once for a blood test and they found he was so deficient in iron, calcium etc. that if he'd kept up his vegan lifestyle he would have been lucky to live to his mid-30's. He's a happy meat eater now :)
bullshit. unless your "friend" replaced meat with potato chips.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC

I agree.

You're both wrong.

A vegan diet can provide adequate nutrition for people of any age and either gender. Yes, some vitamins, minerals and amino acids are more plentiful in animal sources, but a plant based diet isn't necessarily lacking in anything essential for good health.

B_B_J

Banned
HSC
South Indians have been vegans since the day of dawn and they look pretty alive to me.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
iron//
helps us play

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
A vegan diet can provide adequate nutrition for people of any age and either gender. Yes, some vitamins, minerals and amino acids are more plentiful in animal sources, but a plant based diet isn't necessarily lacking in anything essential for good health.
That may not necessarily be true, especially for children and brain development.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
No, true story.

The doctors also told him he had one of the fastest metabolisms they'd ever seen, maybe that had a contributing factor.
Oh, so he wasn't a normal person. And he needed to eat better because of that, not necessarily meat.

I also have an uncle who has smoked 2 packs a day since he was 14, and he's 80 today and totally healthy. So smoking isn't bad, don't worry about it kids.

One unusual person doesn't change the fact that you don't need meat to be healthy (veganism is a much more extreme, but we're not talking about that).

JClamp

Banned
HSC
There would be if we used the land and food currently used for cattle.
Yeah bro I can imagine those massive cattle stations in Bourke being converted to thirsty eggplant cropfields.

THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF EGGPLANTS

all quenched by the endless supplies of water given by the Murray-Darling basin

I have no evidence for what I'm saying (nor do you). It seems unfeasable to me. Some mathematician or something should work out the feasability of replacing meat with veggies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)