Breaking News: Schappelle Corby found guilty! (2 Viewers)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Wesnat said:
If I were a member of her family, then yes, I'd fight for her innocence, and I'd be blind towards the other side of the argument. Understandably so, too. But I'm not, so I can see both sides more clearly.
Even if a member of my family did it and I knew it I would still profess their innocence (I would probably tell the truth on the stand but)

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
nekkid said:
wow westnat... you're still going.

my advice: judge each person's argument by their sig. ;)
Hehe, I've been doing a lengthy assignment in the last few nights in the computer. I'm a perfectionist, so I kinda spent hours on some tiny details. Why not go to the board when I'm stuck/bored?

My sig is boring. What does that say about me? Oh... it says it all, doesn't it... :(

tempco

HSC
whiterabbit said:
My sig is a song lyric.
What does that say about me?
well, i was directing it to a certain somebody, but it seems your arguments are extremely logical, and should never be questioned. soad, after all.

erm, aren't you supposed to be doing your essay? :p

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Komaticom said:
A part of my sig is appropriate in this thread, what does that say about me? ( Except that I've stopped Bouncing)
Its says that doing so is stupid. And tattooedguy should smuggle drugs to Indo, hey hes been quite since Corby was sentenced!!!!

HSC
nekkid said:
erm, aren't you supposed to be doing your essay? :p
Shush, you. It's pass/fail. You can't fail unless you plagiarise.

Hooray for resubmission and pass conceded!

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
"Why, if Corby was smuggling the drugs, did she not take the basic precaution of putting a lock on her bodyboard bag?

Why did she not put the drugs behind the bodyboard, which would have concealed them from anyone opening the bag? Why did she not try to conceal the contents of the plastic bags?

Why would anyone risk a death sentence smuggling marijuana to Bali, where it will sell for much less than in Australia?

Where is the police evidence that Corby or any of her family had connections with drug traffickers?

The federal police confirm that Corby has no criminal record. Queensland police have no intelligence to relate her to drugs.

The drug's wholesale price in Brisbane is $4000 for half a kilogram. Where did a woman who works in a fish and chip shop get the $36,000 it could cost to buy 4.1 kilograms?

The defence will argue that the marijuana was put in the bag in Brisbane by an employee with "airside" access, most likely for pickup in Sydney.

But the pickup was somehow missed and the marijuana travelled on to Bali. The defence will also argue that the drugs were placed in the wrong bag on the wrong flight.

They will argue that the positioning of the marijuana in front of the bodyboard indicates it was inserted in haste during transit.

The problem is that the defence can establish a lot of doubt but no proof. From the outset, Mr Wiswantanu insisted that the only way he would accept that Corby was innocent was proof - visual or by weight - that the marijuana was not in the bodyboard bag when she checked it in at Brisbane airport. Or visual evidence of someone putting the drugs in the bodyboard bag."

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
sped_kid01 said:
"Why, if Corby was smuggling the drugs, did she not take the basic precaution of putting a lock on her bodyboard bag?
Why did she not put the drugs behind the bodyboard, which would have concealed them from anyone opening the bag? Why did she not try to conceal the contents of the plastic bags?
Why the fuck would she do that? It doesnt stop customs searching the bag, it would also stop the use of excuses that someone could have planted it

sped_kid01 said:
Why would anyone risk a death sentence smuggling marijuana to Bali, where it will sell for much less than in Australia?
It wont if u sell it to the right ppl, i used to think the same thing

sped_kid01 said:
Where is the police evidence that Corby or any of her family had connections with drug traffickers?
wtf explain this sentance doesnt make sense to me, plz clarify
sped_kid01 said:
The federal police confirm that Corby has no criminal record. Queensland police have no intelligence to relate her to drugs.
How can anyone get a record if there is an assumption that u need a previous record to commit a crime

sped_kid01 said:
The drug's wholesale price in Brisbane is $4000 for half a kilogram. Where did a woman who works in a fish and chip shop get the $36,000 it could cost to buy 4.1 kilograms?
If she is a willing mule, she dont own the drugs just is paid to transport them

HSC
sped_kid01 said:
No court in Australia or Indonesia would take that as evidence.

sped_kid01 said:
Her father has a criminal record, and her brother has been charged with possessing illicit drugs.

But that's not the point. We're not talking about her father or brother.

sped_kid01 said:
Maybe she hasn't had one in the past. But now she does.

sped_kid01 said:
There is a link somewhere in all these threads to an article detailing how Australian drugs sell for good prices in Indonesia.
The second half of your paragraph is mere speculation. I don't know. It's possible, isn't it?

sped_kid01 said:
The defence will argue that the marijuana was put in the bag in Brisbane by an employee with "airside" access, most likely for pickup in Sydney.
Well, that's their job, isn't it.

sped_kid01 said:
But the pickup was somehow missed and the marijuana travelled on to Bali. The defence will also argue that the drugs were placed in the wrong bag on the wrong flight.
Evidence??

sped_kid01 said:
They will argue that the positioning of the marijuana in front of the bodyboard indicates it was inserted in haste during transit.
Not quite, they were behind a set of flippers. But that's just speculation and hypotheticals. They weren't proved wrong, but they couldn't prove themselves right.

sped_kid01 said:
The problem is that the defence can establish a lot of doubt but no proof. From the outset, Mr Wiswantanu insisted that the only way he would accept that Corby was innocent was proof - visual or by weight - that the marijuana was not in the bodyboard bag when she checked it in at Brisbane airport. Or visual evidence of someone putting the drugs in the bodyboard bag."
You got it, kiddo.

I'm trying not to let my personal opinion get in the way, but franky, i'm sick of ordinary people who have become xenophobes due to the damage of extensive media brainwashing.

Both parties are unhappy. Australians feel wronged because they believe Corby to be innocent and undeserving of her sentence. Indonesians feel angry that a lenient sentence has been given to this girl whose case is really no different to many others.

I'm interested to see how both appeals go.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
sped_kid01 said:
People do dangerous and sometimes stupid things for money. Further, if she thought she could get away with it, it wouldn't seem that stupid to her.

sped_kid01 said:
She could be in collusion with other people, taking a share of it. Or, though more unlikely, she could have had friends who produced it.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
It was these very doubts, I think, that made the judges sentenced her to 20 years, instead of life. However, the material evidence was that the marijuana was in the bag that was hers.

Think about it. Someone was found with a marijuana in her bag. Corby's defense could only say: "It was there, she didn't do it." That's pretty weak defence. This is why Corby needs to have a material proof of her innocence. What can the judges do? Let her go? What if she IS guilty? The judges would have released a person who has committed a very serious crime in their country (I think people underestimate the seriousness Indonesians have in regards to drugs).

Yet, there have been doubts raised.

That's why the judges went 'middle ground'. Not releasing her. But not sentencing her to life either. I think based on the evidence, I agree with the AFP chief, the judges have done the only thing they could do.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
because then if it was found out it would be certain she put it in there, at least now there is doubt

Why did she not put the drugs behind the bodyboard, which would have concealed them from anyone opening the bag? Why did she not try to conceal the contents of the plastic bags?same as above, but i also see your point

Why would anyone risk a death sentence smuggling marijuana to Bali, where it will sell for much less than in Australia?there was an article somewhere about westerners buying from westerners who are not undercover cops

previous smuggling

The problem is that the defence can establish a lot of doubt but no proof. From the outset, Mr Wiswantanu insisted that the only way he would accept that Corby was innocent was proof - visual or by weight - that the marijuana was not in the bodyboard bag when she checked it in at Brisbane airport. Or visual evidence of someone putting the drugs in the bodyboard bag."and a huge problem is they haven't shown that evidence. i feel deeply sorry for her if she is innocent, whic she could be. who is the dodgy guy trying to pay her way out?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
iambored said:
because then if it was found out it would be certain she put it in there, at least now there is doubt

Why did she not put the drugs behind the bodyboard, which would have concealed them from anyone opening the bag? Why did she not try to conceal the contents of the plastic bags?same as above, but i also see your point

Why would anyone risk a death sentence smuggling marijuana to Bali, where it will sell for much less than in Australia?there was an article somewhere about westerners buying from westerners who are not undercover cops

previous smuggling
Thanks for paraphrasing me

tempco

HSC
SashatheMan said:
i heard if she appeals , she might get a dead sentence. sounds interesting
you mean if the prosecution appeals, right?

Generator

HSC
N/A
For what it's worth, the involvement of the baggage handlers is just as valid a story as the one noting the westerners market in Bali. I'm sure that most of you realise that, though.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
the main reason everyone thinks she is innocent is because the media wanted her to be. Much more interesting story that way.

Personally, I think theres a chance that she is guilty. Just as there's a chance she isn't. We don't have the facts and aren't really in a position to say that she's definatly innocent.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I personally think (please don't flame me, i kno its just a wild theory) that this is how the situation went down, Corby often makes visits to see her younger sister, who owns a "surf shop" in bali. She admitted that she was going to see her, and I completely believe her. I think that she was going to see her, with some drugs to sell/distribute through her surf shop.

As for whether she's guilty or innocent, none of us can of course say for certain, but I believe the evidence is stacked up against her.

IF an official investigation turns up that a baggage handler did smuggle drugs via brisbane airport, then her case will be much stronger.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Don't forget that she DOES have a STRONG motive to commit the crime: her dying father.

I've watched somewhere that the family can't afford the necessary medical treatment. And Corby really loves her father; she picks him up from far away simply because she's worried about him.

This motive explains a few thigs:
1. why she'd be stupid enough to smuggle drugs to Bali

2. Why she's been showing so much emotion - not only will she get in gaol for what she thinks is a good cause, but her hope of her father's recovery is shattered

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I think it was channel 9's Sunday that reported her father's deteriorating health. To me, when it tried to draw pity from the public, the program actually gave away a very strong motive for Corby's crime (if she did commit it).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)