Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

williamdaft

HSC
That's just a fucking cop out though, ignorance and gullibility should never be accepted as satisfactory. Religious beliefs are holding society back e.g. with the issue of gay marriage, religious nuts keep pointing to the bible and keep saying shit like "God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve".
+1

superesse

HSC
N/A
Yeah, but you still need to respect their beliefs, otherwise you wouldn't be respecting the individual.
Although I agree with your following point that you cannot blame individuals for the contexts they are born in, nobody is obliged to respect an individual if their beliefs are offensive or potentially harmful towards them. After all, individuals often conduct actions based upon their beliefs, such as the persecution of homosexuals due to religion.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You can't blame people for not being able to kelp up with the times. I mean think of it, the whole concept of gay, even for some non-religious people is a new concept. The individual can't accept it because they've never heard of a concept like it before. It's not only a person's belief that makes them think that way.

I mean, women in power was only like 40 years back, and that took hella time for equality, even now we haven't reached it...
Religions are clouding people's conscience and judgement with discrimination and prejudice against the gays. Homosexuality isn't a new concept at all, apparently Alexander the Great used to be gay and the Romans used to have orgies with the same sex. Religion might not be the only factor that makes people think this way but it is a big factor.

KitchenSinky

HSC
I always grab my dick when an earthquake happens, then my hand automatically strokes dick. I feel as if I have sex with the earth. The fear fades away.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I always grab my dick when an earthquake happens, then my hand automatically strokes dick. I feel as if I have sex with the earth. The fear fades away.
It's a shame I don't live on a fault line to try this :haha:

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
I don't really know to be honest..... i'm not a ashiest nor chirstan or whatever..... life has soo many questionable outcome..... it suks

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I don't think anyone is an ashiest or chirstan

williamdaft

HSC
I can not bring myself to be a religious person.

I can not believe in Gods and Angels and Heavens and Hells. It all sounds too limiting, too convenient and too anthropomorphic.

I don't think religious people are wrong in believing in it however. What matters is that you believe in something that fulfills you and as long as they don't try to enforce their morals and beliefs on me, whatever makes them happy is just fine with me.

But I'm not ready to believe there is nothing after we die either.
It may well be true.
But its just as possible that it isn't.

Looking superficially at the world, you may be led to believe that there is no life after death. That there is no God, no Creator of any kind, for if there is one, who created him ?

But what do we really know about our existence ?
To examine that, let's ask the most basic questions:

Who. What. Why. Where. When.

Who.
Who are we?
Yes we are humans, but are we alone, are we unique in the universe, or are there others like us?
Do we die and disappear or do we live on in some way?
We have no context. Nothing to compare us to except other animals born on our planet, from which we ourselves have evolved.
Given the size and richness of the universe, that's a pretty small sample.

What.
What are we?
Yes we are living organisms of biological origin.
But we know so little. How do our bodies really work? We have advanced immensely but we still can't change them, can't stop them from getting cancer or aging. We know much less of our brains. We don't really understand how they work and we're nowhere near imitating them.
Of matter, we know its mostly empty space. We're not even allowed to look deep into it because by looking, we change it.
(BTW - I forgot to mention dark matter and dark energy which is supposed to make up 96% of the universe and which no one knows anything about!)

Why.
Why are we here?
The universe does not need us. It would get along fine without us.
So why did it generate us?
We don't serve any purpose and fulfill no apparent need.

Where.
Where are we?
The universe is big. Too big for us to understand.
Where does it end?
Even if they told us the answer; would we understand it?
We would keep asking - ok, so what's outside that?

When.
Like the Where, this is a question we can not know the answer to.
Would never be able to understand it.
When did time start?
Any possible answer would beg the question - ok, what was there before that?

So we can't even answer the Who, What, Why, Where and When of our existence.
We can see that we probably wouldn't even understand the answers.
We're playing in a game where we don't know and maybe can't know all the rules.

Given that, how can we be anything but agnostic.

Some people say its cowardice.
They say: "You are only an agnostic because you linger on to your need of a daddy and are afraid to be alone and afraid of the repercussions in case there is a God. You should be brave. Do away with God, you don't need him."

I find that so childish.. Like a schoolyard dare.
I don't need backing. I don't need a peer group.
We all die alone.
The only thing I want is the truth. A truth I can believe.

Since we've seen how much we don't know, how can we know there is no higher power ? Not even a cold and uncaring one. How can we know there's nothing after we die ?

I'm an agnostic because I haven't given up wondering.
Haven't given up thinking.

And based on what I know to be true, an agnostic is the only thing I can be.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
What happens after we die?

It's probably similar to how it felt like before you were born. Humans are nothing special we are just biological computers with DNA as the software responding to different situations like any other animal, we just have better processing power compared to any other animal. I reckon it's pretty arrogant to think that we are special in the universe (made in God's image) and are better than all other living things. We're just products of billions of years of natural selection just like any other animal.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
What happens after we die?

It's probably similar to how it felt like before you were born. Humans are nothing special we are just biological computers with DNA as the software responding to different situations like any other animal, we just have better processing power compared to any other animal. I reckon it's pretty arrogant to think that we are special in the universe (made in God's image) and are better than all other living things. We're just products of billions of years of natural selection just like any other animal.
Amazingly accurate descriptions likening DNA to advanced software, processing power
And to think
We came out of nothing?

Frostbitten

HSC
If religion didn't have influential power in the world then it wouldn't need to be scrutinised. I hold religious beliefs right up beside political ideologies for this reason.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Define nothing in this context plz.
Excuse me, define 'nothing'?
Really?

If religion didn't have influential power in the world then it wouldn't need to be scrutinised. I hold religious beliefs right up beside political ideologies for this reason.
Coco Pops also has influential power in the world

Do you hold Coco pops along politics and religion?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Define nothing in this context plz.
Does it need to be any more clearer?

In the science context, everything was made from something, cells, scientific elements. You can't make cells without carbon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)