Feelings towards year 12 (1 Viewer)

born2pry

HSC
Argh.
You know what?
Let me just kill the illusion for you now.
The HSC isn't fair. Don't think that by playing by the rules you'll succeed.

Just
1. Work your butt off in the early stages, if you screw up then, restoring your ranks sucks
2. Don't slack off. Ever. Do not leave things til the last minute. Get in early and work on your assessment tasks til they are perfect. I did not do this once since I started the HSC, I pulled off most last mintute scrambles.. .But how I wish I'd done it differently. Not worth the stress... And I actually haven't made notes yet.

oh shit.

On a positive note, your year group will become all friendly ... And get along much better. In comparison to junior years of course.

Plus there is the power factor. Just knowing the responsibility lies with you, being the seniors.. The inevitable rights that accompany it are pretty damn good.

Anyway just don't be lazy shits and work your arse off BEFORE you get stuck with 6 assessment tasks over two weeks.

born2pry

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Feelings towards year 12

tommykins said:
Sorry to burst your bubble mate, from personal experience I don't believe it's so.

Consider my rankings, i was bottom 20% for everything in prelim, now after trying, i'm top 20%.

the "smart" kids that try in year 11 tend to drop down when they're in year 12, as people that are naturally smart actually start trying
Hmm... Only partially true.

The people who do well in the early years but bomb out in year 12 had most likely been cruising by on natural intelligence but failed to lift their act for the big one two.

Any average joe (ok well a bit above average joe) can do really really well in the hsc if they work their butt off. It's these people coming from the depths of nowhere that usurp the cruisers... Not necessarily smarter. Just work better.

Or hey, maybe they just plagiarise of BOS and their older friends' essays, and their teachers are too technologically illiterate/careless to tell. :angry:

Meh as long as I don't screw up my trials I'll be fine... Ah.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC

Totally agree with Born2pry.

There are some in my year who are doing really well, "cruising by on natural intelligence", without actually learning how to study. IN year 11, you're supposed to learn those skills, experiment with them until you find what works for you. Year 12 is all about STUDY. NOT "natural intelligence".

And by the way "people that are naturally smart actually start trying"? C'mon tommykins! Don't use this forum to stroke your huge ego.

Good luck everyone. Be scared, be excited, be sad. This is just a small step in our lives.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

Tully B. said:
Totally agree with Born2pry.

There are some in my year who are doing really well, "cruising by on natural intelligence", without actually learning how to study. IN year 11, you're supposed to learn those skills, experiment with them until you find what works for you. Year 12 is all about STUDY. NOT "natural intelligence".
Considering my cousin studied the night before, played games the morning on and slept at 3am cause he was watching anime, he still got a 93UAI.

There's a few people who can just get 90+ without intense study, natural intelligence comes a long way. (PS. 90+ isn't hard to get)
Tully B. said:
And by the way "people that are naturally smart actually start trying"? C'mon tommykins! Don't use this forum to stroke your huge ego.

Good luck everyone. Be scared, be excited, be sad. This is just a small step in our lives.
Sigh, I wasn't referring to myself. I was actually referring to alot of my mates who are smart as hell but make notes the night before the exam and still rip it up, but snice now they actually study before the exam, they absolutely abolish the exam(s).

hell - i'd consider myself above average of the state but not even close to the top tier of the state (99+)

Last edited:

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
don't worry, it won't be long before year 12 breaks your naive year 11 spirits. :uhhuh:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Rageeb said:
don't worry, it won't be long before year 12 breaks your naive year 11 spirits. :uhhuh:
Seems like your spirit never existed from the beginning. :uhhuh:

Stop being negative. If you want to give advices, make a proper one.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
Seems like your spirit never existed from the beginning. :uhhuh:

Stop being negative.
lol take a joke mate, and you haven't started year 12 yet so how about you get off your high horse.

lyounamu said:
If you want to give advices, make a proper one.
eh..? wtf..? seriously.

edit: goddamit, i just ruined my '69' post count.

adidasboy

weee
HSC
JKhoury said:
I'm getting pretty sick of waiting around for year twelve, knowing every single assignment, assessment task and exam I do this year counts towards absolutely nothing.

I say bring it on.
haha you sound so confident =P You gonna rape the hsc? :lol:

miranda90

HSC
year 12... sigh. i swear half our year has had a mental breakdown, trying to fit everything in. and it could be (and probably is, the grumpy old lady that i am) just me, but the more time i spend with my year group, minus my friends, the more i dislike them. i cannot WAIT for it to be over. it sucks so much having to rely on others as well (ie drama groups)

oh, and year 11 is waaay easier. i got dux year 11... now, not so sure. ick.

i must catch up on some much needed sleep. byyye

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
shimmer205 said:
Hey all, as we all head for the inevitable stress and workload of next year, I was wondering how everyone was feeling about finally reaching year 12 (soon). I personally am very excited and can't wait, because I'll be doing the ext courses I want to, and get 18 frees a fortnight (woot!)
However, some people I know are ready to head back to kindergarten to escape the horrors of year 12.

What about you guys? Scared? Excited? Why??
I'm nevous, not really scared or excited just the in between. I still havent exactly chosen what subjects I want to do, however 4 unit English is going to give me 12 free periods a week which will be amazing. I'm hoping to just do well, get a good uai, go onto uni and everything will be just fine (I hope)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
"like, 99.6.. yeah, you're ok... 99.8 and you're smart- i'd listen if you told me to do something"

bawd

HSC

tommykins said:
Sorry to burst your bubble mate, from personal experience I don't believe it's so.

Consider my rankings, i was bottom 20% for everything in prelim, now after trying, i'm top 20%.

the "smart" kids that try in year 11 tend to drop down when they're in year 12, as people that are naturally smart actually start trying
That's just an assumption from a single basis point and does not necessarily mean that everyone who does crap in Preliminary will do well in the HSC. You've got to spice up your Inductive Logical reasoning skills. :)

And then you've got the people who always just do well.

Last edited:

emmawriteslove

HSC
well, im kinda looking forward to year 12!
I guess, and i may be sounding naive because i havent started it yet, but in comparison to other hurdles in life, it should be okay.

I dont believe in being "naturally smart."
Everyone has the potential to achieve high, it just depends on their work ethic.
I'm not trying to boast (even though i am pretty stoked hahahaha), but i put aboslutely no effort into school for the first few years of high school, didnt turn up, just didnt care.... i think my average on assessment tasks was something like 40-60% and i would only get that after pulling an all-nighter to get it done.
Last year, i dont know what happened, but i started putting effort in and turning up to school. i went from ranking 89th in the year (out of 178) to coming 2nd for english. My lowest ranking in any class was 5th. This year i got 100% in my business assessment task which goes towards 40% of the course.
At the moment, i may not have much of a life, and i aware that it will not go towards next year, but its all about learning and getting into the habit of studying and busting your a s s to do well next year.
Like i said, being "naturally smart" is bu ll sh it! Its got nothing to do with being "naturally smart" at all, its got everything to do with how much effort you put in.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

bawd said:
That's just an assumption from a single basis point and does not necessarily mean that everyone who does crap in Preliminary will do well in the HSC. You've got to spice up your Inductive Logical reasoning skills. :)

And then you've got the people who always just do well.
Of course, but being politically correct is quite shit.

bawd

HSC
emmawriteslove said:
well, im kinda looking forward to year 12!
I guess, and i may be sounding naive because i havent started it yet, but in comparison to other hurdles in life, it should be okay.

I dont believe in being "naturally smart."
Everyone has the potential to achieve high, it just depends on their work ethic.
I'm not trying to boast (even though i am pretty stoked hahahaha), but i put aboslutely no effort into school for the first few years of high school, didnt turn up, just didnt care.... i think my average on assessment tasks was something like 40-60% and i would only get that after pulling an all-nighter to get it done.
Last year, i dont know what happened, but i started putting effort in and turning up to school. i went from ranking 89th in the year (out of 178) to coming 2nd for english. My lowest ranking in any class was 5th. This year i got 100% in my business assessment task which goes towards 40% of the course.
At the moment, i may not have much of a life, and i aware that it will not go towards next year, but its all about learning and getting into the habit of studying and busting your a s s to do well next year.
Like i said, being "naturally smart" is bu ll sh it! Its got nothing to do with being "naturally smart" at all, its got everything to do with how much effort you put in.
But, research does show that 'smartness' is 50% nature, 50% nurture. This is the reason why some people can just pick up things faster than other people, and mostly likely the reason that there are accelerated schools and classes.

But, I'll definitely agree that working hard, as well as working smart, are essential to doing well for the HSC. :)

agua.fuego

HSC
shimmer205 said:
Hey all, as we all head for the inevitable stress and workload of next year, I was wondering how everyone was feeling about finally reaching year 12 (soon). I personally am very excited and can't wait, because I'll be doing the ext courses I want to, and get 18 frees a fortnight (woot!)
However, some people I know are ready to head back to kindergarten to escape the horrors of year 12.

What about you guys? Scared? Excited? Why??
I actually can't wait... although the part of heading back to kindy does sound appealing when HSC is mentioned (fingerpainting, yay!). I'm more excited about dropping the subjects I chose in a moment of a) attempting to spite someone; and b) feeling slightly not there. Anyway, also I'm looking forward to picking up Ext. 2 English and Ext. History - apparently both those courses are really good, and I'm looking forward to the major work for Ext 2.

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
as the OP said at the very beginning... wouldn't mind going back to kindergarten to escape it :p (......financial difficulties much???)

But seriously though, I'm not really looking forward to an entire year where every single piece of work basically counts towards what your future holds (and yes, this does seem narrow minded), and so on. I feel that I'll probably get around 90 UAI as I don't really try hard, but my teachers always say I have "the potential for 95+ UAI"..... but maybe just motivational help and not reality???

On the other hand, might be fun. I'll be doing 2 units less (maybe), will have dropped extension english (probably), and stopped doing so much extracurricular activities... OK, maybe fun wasn't the best word to use there. But the last year of school, leaving that stage of your life and moving on, I'd be feeling melancholous (dunno if that's actually a word)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
LOL, dropping extracurricular activities? Woosh, that was your Prefect's badge and tie being confiscated by Kesting. ;)

But yeah, I'm not looking forward to Year 12.

beve

Jesus
HSC
I'm keen as; dropping Math Extension and Music 1 to pick up English Extension 2 and History Extension. History Extension will probably be run at another school (since im from a small school there is an intercurricular program for the local schools) so I'll get to spend some more time with friends over there.

But at the same time, it's bloody scary.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am very much looking forward to Year 12. I am not scared at all. Only thing that I might be scard is myself. I want myself to live up to my own expectation and never feel burnt out. :)

Earlier the HSC, the earlier I get out there and do what I really wish to do (but I need to make sure I get in first...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)