HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, so much for "there are things worse than death" and "to the well organized mind etc." dumbledore wanted to conquer it heaps, so much so that he only got himself killed by snape because he was going to die anyway.....because he was trying to avoid death!

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Woahhh so many posts since last night...

I agree with a lot of what Nebuchanezzar (I'm sorry but your name is a mouthful haha) said - the "The ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming" made shivers go down my spine - especially since it was in the middle of the reception.

Slytherin and how they were the only house who didn't join in the Battle of Hogwarts - I thought about this, and I think it was Phineus Nigellus who said that though Slytherins are brave, they know when to go and save their own skins... and I guess that's what they were doing? I mean, besides Draco, Crabbe, Goyle and maybe Parkinson, JKR never really focused on any of the other Slytherins so it would've been a little weird having them suddenly join in the fight... especially when some of their parents would've been Death Eaters.

Severus' death - I'm not particularly pleased about the way he died either. It was unfair - but then again, his entire life had been unfair. Having dodgy parents, being mistreated at school, losing Lily, being a double-agent... as someone said earlier, yes he could've died jumping in front of Harry or whatever, but in my eyes he completely redeemed himself (to Harry and the "good" side) when he gave Harry the memories in his dying moments.
I thought his death was really poetic. Voldy killing him was like emphasizing how he doesnt care about killing people if it will further his ends. Then he had one last act, giving harry all the info he needed to complete the job, as well as all of his most sensitive memories which exonerated him. Then right at the end he asks harry to look at him. So he can die looking into lilly's eyes....very touching.
agreed

As for everyone else's deaths - I do wish she could've elaborated on some of them, but then again it would've just made me cry more :p the thing is, they were in battle - she couldn't very well stop every time somebody died and explained it.

Okay sorry everyone if none of the above made sense or is extremely badly worded... my neck is still killing after stupidly sitting in the same position for 7 hours and I am not in my right mind

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
The ending was so rushed (the non epilogue ending), all that for a few pages of him battling Voldemort face to face

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
you wanted a whole book about voldemort and harry circling one another?

most people abbrieviate my username to Neb, by the way people.

Bubz said:
Severus' death - I'm not particularly pleased about the way he died either. It was unfair - but then again, his entire life had been unfair. Having dodgy parents, being mistreated at school, losing Lily, being a double-agent... as someone said earlier, yes he could've died jumping in front of Harry or whatever, but in my eyes he completely redeemed himself (to Harry and the "good" side) when he gave Harry the memories in his dying moments.
:(

btw: how do you people say scrimgeour?

Me: Scrim-jwah (as in bourgeoise)
Sister: Scrim-jee-hour
Mother: Scrim-jour (as in bonjour)

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
bubz :D said:
I don't think he truly carried over to the good side. Nor do I think he was inherently evil. Severus Snape was some kind of ronin, a masterless samurai. Without a master to serve - in his case, Lily Evans - he was cast adrift. Sanpe worked only for himself, switching sides as he chose so as to find the greatest benefit from himself. I said it earlier; I'll say it agian. He had a lot of hatred. Not just for James and Sirius, but for Lily for abandoning him, he hated muggle-borns because his father frequently abused his mother, and he hated himself for letting Lily go and also for continuing to love her. Snape wasn't in the middle of some heroic act when he died. There was nothing to suggest he was going to do something to help Harry; nothing to say he'd jump before Harry to avoid Avarda Kedavra, nothing to suggest he was willing to sacrifice himself to kill Nagini. Everything else being constant, Snape would have stayed by Voldemort's side because he believed he had a better chance there. I'm convinced Snape was a game theorist; his movements always yielded some benefit for one side, but only when he got something out of himself. He became a double agent because he could protect Lily. He killed Dumbledore to win favour with Voldemort and put him in a better position to watch for when he kept Nagini close. And so on and so forth. I'm willing to bet that when he gave Harry his memories - it wasn't really explained how he could bleed memories - he had no control over what he was giving. He was dying, so he pulled out everything that he could and while he gave Harry the memory that he intended (the one where Dumbledore told him to relay instructions to Harry about his being a horcrux), he also inadvertently gave Harry everything else. If Snape had have somehow survived, I doubt he would be impressed to learn Harry knew everything about himself and Lily; I daresay one of the main reasons he hated Harry so much was not because he was James Potter's son, but because Harry had the eyes of the woman he loved.

Lori.

HSC
yeah, scrim-ger lol

How many typos did you guys see? I noticed two in the last chapter, i think (not the epilogue). Yay for first editions lol

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
ObjectsInSpace: I actually had that opinion before reading deathly hallows but in the end I felt he had redeemed himself; he felt remorse for telling Voldemort about the prophecy and his love for Lily was overwhelming, despite her marrying James and most of his actions were on Dumbledore's orders for the aid of the 'good' side.

Lori.

HSC
Most hilarious moment in the book: mrs weasley calling bellatrix a BITCH

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Lori. said:
Most hilarious moment in the book: mrs weasley calling bellatrix a BITCH
Hahaha same, it was just so bizarre. That or Hermione making out with Ron because it was just put in at the worst possible time

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Hahaha same, it was just so bizarre. That or Hermione making out with Ron because it was just put in at the worst possible time
Hahah that bit just reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean, when Elizabeth and Will get married in the middle of the battle

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
P_D's Awards for Excellence in HP7

Hilarity: The house-elf rush scene. "DIE BISHES DIE!"

Drama: "The Ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming."

WTF-ness: Ron's fake parseltongue.
WTF-ness 2nd: Percy's return. "OMG i was fkn wrong!"

Sadness: Dobby dies. "Here lies a free elf"

Boredom: Everything else.

-P_D

PS: Wonder hor JKR's feeling, if she knows how many of her fans hated this conclusion. Maybe she'll white another one to fix it.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Actually, before when someone was like " oh ron and hermione have gone off to some bathroom together" I thought they had gone to hookup.

sanshi

colour my world
HSC
N/A
i didnt like snape ; fred and dobby death
and poor Teddy Remus Lupin has no parents it parallels HP

i didnt lyk ron and hermione pairing up

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i was so devastated when Hedwig died =( and Dobby too.
and i didn't like the epilogue at the end - i feel as though she only put it there to make sure there could be no further books on Harry Potter.
feel so sorry for Snape..... :(
and i don't like Harry ending up with Ginny, i thought Ginny was gonna be the one who dies but it turns out HEAPS of characters died, not just two like JKR said.

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
I don't think he truly carried over to the good side. Nor do I think he was inherently evil. Severus Snape was some kind of ronin, a masterless samurai. Without a master to serve - in his case, Lily Evans - he was cast adrift. Sanpe worked only for himself, switching sides as he chose so as to find the greatest benefit from himself. I said it earlier; I'll say it agian. He had a lot of hatred. Not just for James and Sirius, but for Lily for abandoning him, he hated muggle-borns because his father frequently abused his mother, and he hated himself for letting Lily go and also for continuing to love her. Snape wasn't in the middle of some heroic act when he died. There was nothing to suggest he was going to do something to help Harry; nothing to say he'd jump before Harry to avoid Avarda Kedavra, nothing to suggest he was willing to sacrifice himself to kill Nagini. Everything else being constant, Snape would have stayed by Voldemort's side because he believed he had a better chance there. I'm convinced Snape was a game theorist; his movements always yielded some benefit for one side, but only when he got something out of himself. He became a double agent because he could protect Lily. He killed Dumbledore to win favour with Voldemort and put him in a better position to watch for when he kept Nagini close. And so on and so forth. I'm willing to bet that when he gave Harry his memories - it wasn't really explained how he could bleed memories - he had no control over what he was giving. He was dying, so he pulled out everything that he could and while he gave Harry the memory that he intended (the one where Dumbledore told him to relay instructions to Harry about his being a horcrux), he also inadvertently gave Harry everything else. If Snape had have somehow survived, I doubt he would be impressed to learn Harry knew everything about himself and Lily; I daresay one of the main reasons he hated Harry so much was not because he was James Potter's son, but because Harry had the eyes of the woman he loved.
-Severus was good.
-He was acting on Dumbledore's orders/wishes.
-He gave Harry his memory-parts he WANTED Harry to see.
-He hated Harry because James was his father, and because of the way he was treated by James. Harry does have Lily's eyes, which reminds Severus of Lily, because if he didn't tell Voldemort of the prophecy she would have been alive [maybe]
-Also if Severus didn't call Lily a Mudblood, he could have been Harry's father...ever thought of that?
-If he gave his memory of Lily by mistake he would have given more stuff by mistake, why was it only the stuff which relates to his love for Lily? You're just trying to make it out like he is still bad, when he isn't.

Lori.

HSC
shiftyicewoman said:
Also if Severus didn't call Lily a Mudblood, he could have been Harry's father...ever thought of that?
What?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)