I wanna tone up - advice? (1 Viewer)

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Ronnie Coleman eats more than 3 eggs simply for breakfast.

The fact that you think the number of eggs consumed p/day has some magical effect on body composition (besides contributing to macro and total energy intake) boggles my mind
I never said eggs play some magical part within diet that some how defines an individual lol i'm just saying, i just heard that 3 eggs was maximum intake, anymore being useless even for Coleman.

Greatest muscle hypertrophy occurs in the 9-12 rep range I would put this around the 70-80 % of 1RM
If you're talking about recruitment of lean muscle mass then this would be about right.

If you're talking about greatest muscle hypertrophy in general, then you are wrong. Greatest muscle hypertrophy is made at 3 sets x 6 repetitions (85-95% of 1RM).

Compound exercises (those that involve more than one joint) should be the focus: squat, deadlift, chinup, olympic lifts if able etcetc
Depends what you're after i suppose, in terms of the OP, i suppose you are right. What i said is more about muscle bulk & strength.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
cut down on the junk
and do cardio atleast 30mins 4 times a week.
maybe walk home, from wherever you can.. or talk a walk/run around the block when you get home.
junk food makes you feel lazy, so try to cut down on it.

before i had a gym memebrship, i would be doing about 50 lunges, 50 squats, 200 sit ups and 100 pushups on a light stomach just before i slept.
it helps but you have to remember to stretch otherwise your legs will be shaking and hurting the next day if this is the first time you've done any "toning"

if you can, try not to eat any junk after dinner

i'm glad my parents made me eat healthy foods all the time when i was little, and i barely went to maccas.. so i don't have too much of a habit for junk food nowadays.
i can control myself if i want, but sometimes i just don't..

e.g. for lunch - instead of eating something high in calories, and high GI - try eating like 2 pieces of bread and a chicken caesar salad from coles or woolworths :) its worth it atleast you won't be so tierd later in the day.

for breakfast, sometimes i eat wholemeal bread, egg and le rice. it makes me soo full so i don't eat anything after that until later at lunch :)

Last edited:

quik.

HSC
I never said eggs play some magical part within diet that some how defines an individual lol i'm just saying, i just heard that 3 eggs was maximum intake, anymore being useless even for Coleman.
Face meet palm

If you're talking about recruitment of lean muscle mass then this would be about right.

If you're talking about greatest muscle hypertrophy in general, then you are wrong. Greatest muscle hypertrophy is made at 3 sets x 6 repetitions (85-95% of 1RM).
No.

Numerous studies have all shown 9-12 reps induce the greatest amount of hypertrophy. But I'm sure you know better than all these studies and the ACSM. Perhaps you should write a letter to inform them of their mistake.

Depends what you're after i suppose, in terms of the OP, i suppose you are right. What i said is more about muscle bulk & strength.
If your aim was muscle bulk and strength you would still focus on, guess what!, compound movements. What you suggested was horrible advice, no matter what your training goals (apart from maybe 'I want slightly bigger arms')

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
I just went for a 40 minute walk
But I fucked up this morning by accidently eating cheese (yes accidently - forgot fettah was a type of cheese ROFL)

Japanese_rambo

HSC
N/A
I have cereal and/or fruit salad in the mornings. Something like chicken from Nando's or Japanese for lunch, then I have a pepper steak with mash and a nice salad for dinner. I can have a desert usually as well. For me, I found two things with getting a flat stomach.
-Sit ups are good, but only really helpful to a point. If the fat is on top of them only your waistline will benefit a couple of inches when you have your shirt on from doing sit up.
-So getting healthy all round by eating well and exercising properly is the quickest way to a healthy body and flat stomach.

I personally found when trying to get into shape, more so than weights and dieting, Jogging helped me get fit. Its hard at first but then it gets really enjoyable after a month or so.

Lastly how much you can eat will depend on your output for the day. If your a bricklayer, your going to burn a lot more than a person sitting at a desk all day.

Do lots of sit ups, push ups, and pull ups as your main exercises. Rotate each one of these with Jogging. So these two things together, 3 times a week. Eat well.

Thats a good start. Good luck.

Also,

I just went for a 40 minute walk
But I fucked up this morning by accidently eating cheese (yes accidently - forgot fettah was a type of cheese ROFL)

If you go for a 40 minute walk... you really dont have to worry about eating FETTA cheese. The whiter the cheese, the less fat/healthier it is.

Cottage>Coon.

Someone else said, Calorie Intake has to be less than Calorie Expenditure.

I was skinny as a young guy, but lost control of eating for various reasons later in life. So i decided to do something about it back in May this year.

I went from 90.5KG to 73KG. I am not as lean as I was when I was younger (1.5% I also dont train like a mad man anymore), but I have still managed to get to 5% and have a six pack.

I began this shaping as having 24.5% body fat. So huge fat loss for me. And I can sprint now with the best of em again.

I am not a member of a GYM. I own scales, and have running shoes though. The best thing about speeding up your metabolism and getting fit.. you can eat

whatever you want here and there and it doesnt make a difference.

Last edited:

SS Marmiduke

HSC
I say do some running, it is the best sport in terms of affordability, toning, weight loss, improved state of mind etc. And so, running becomes a healthy addiction.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
What I do is eat whatever I like, drink heaps of water, and I don't eat after 5:30pm - 6:00pm. Get your body into routine.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
question for you guys, how much would it help in slimming down if I go to work for ~9 hrs where i stand around on my feet the whole day, and walk around serving customers and stuff. DX
Also i get to clear the palette that we get sometimes, which are usually 12kg boxes.

I"d like to think tht I have a pretty healthy diet. usually eat either subway or jap for lunch when at work

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
unless you work up a massive sweat and get puffed out by the end of your shift, it's not gonna do much (i reckon).

i work in a very similar situation, lifting stuff and emptying pallets and stuff, doesnt do much apart from tiring out my arms and back.

Prod1gy x

HSC
So much misinformation in this thread.
The egg yolk(yellow part of the egg) is not bad for you. Do a little research on cholesterol, that myth has been debunked.
People wanting to put on muscle should consume a gram of protein per pound in addition to heavy weight lifting.
Protein isn't only used for building muscles.
High reps does not = toning or cuts in the muscles.
If you want to slim down, it is a very simple equation, calories consumed per day must be less than the calories burned.
If you're eating more than you're burning, you're going to gain weight.
Eating 6 meals a day will not have an effect on your metabolism as opposed to eating 3 meals per day.

So if you want to lose fat, you eat less than you burn.
If you want to gain weight, you need to be eating protein rich foods, and you want to be in a caloric surplus. That is, more food than you will be burning off in a day.

It really is that simple, there is no need to complicate weight loss.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
So much misinformation in this thread.
The egg yolk(yellow part of the egg) is not bad for you. Do a little research on cholesterol, that myth has been debunked.
People wanting to put on muscle should consume a gram of protein per pound in addition to heavy weight lifting.
Protein isn't only used for building muscles.
High reps does not = toning or cuts in the muscles.
If you want to slim down, it is a very simple equation, calories consumed per day must be less than the calories burned.
If you're eating more than you're burning, you're going to gain weight.
Eating 6 meals a day will not have an effect on your metabolism as opposed to eating 3 meals per day.

So if you want to lose fat, you eat less than you burn.
If you want to gain weight, you need to be eating protein rich foods, and you want to be in a caloric surplus. That is, more food than you will be burning off in a day.

It really is that simple, there is no need to complicate weight loss.
Truth.
This man knows it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)