Save sex? (1 Viewer)

Skeeta

HSC
nah man, he didnt.

Dont believe the television.

waterphaerie

HSC
Tulipa said:
And the Bible is not the be all and end all.

It's not God's word. It's a bunch of old guys recounting stories a number of years after these "events" took place. THEN there's the whole translation thing which really isn't that correct.

So yeah. Bible - not God's word.
you should read "A Sneaking Suspicion" by John Dickson. Good book, easy to read and understand, and it talks about the translation thing and the events thing. Very enlightening book.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
waterphaerie said:
you should read "A Sneaking Suspicion" by John Dickson. Good book, easy to read and understand, and it talks about the translation thing and the events thing. Very enlightening book.
Yes because one book on another book is proof enough.

I very much believe that when I am done reading that one book that explains the other book's thousands of years of history that I will be convinced.

Sorry but I don't buy it.

waterphaerie

HSC
Tulipa said:
Yes because one book on another book is proof enough.

I very much believe that when I am done reading that one book that explains the other book's thousands of years of history that I will be convinced.

Sorry but I don't buy it.
Lol. It explains a few VERY key issues that are vital in order to understand the people who wrote the Bible and their culture, and without knowing what those are, it's no wonder people misinterpret the Bible.

Skeeta

HSC
but how does he know?

he might have just made it up

If that is the case then i might as well believe the davinci code.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
waterphaerie said:
Lol. It explains a few VERY key issues that are vital in order to understand the people who wrote the Bible and their culture, and without knowing what those are, it's no wonder people misinterpret the Bible.
Um. Yeah I get the whole tradition dictates much of Bible which makes most of it redundant. You don't need to read a whole big kids book to get that.

But now I'm confused. If you understand that the Bible's pretty much redundant in today's society (not saying secular just contextually) then why follow it?

waterphaerie

HSC
Skeeta said:
but how does he know?

he might have just made it up

If that is the case then i might as well believe the davinci code.
He's researched it, found another documents on it.

Do you believe that Julius Caesar existed and did everthing we're taught he did?
There are only about 15 original manuscripts to back that up that were written at the time.

Jesus Christ has over 3000.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
waterphaerie said:
He's researched it, found another documents on it.

Do you believe that Julius Caesar existed and did everthing we're taught he did?
There are only about 15 original manuscripts to back that up that were written at the time.

Jesus Christ has over 3000.
Yay. Lots of Documents = Proof.

Riiiight.

Skeeta

HSC
The only thing Julius Caesar did was invent salad.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
who wrote the documents?

You need a fat dose of Extension History waterphaerie

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
I'm Christian.

And John Dixon's books are seriously crap man, if you think about it for more than 15 minutes, you find major flaws in his arguements.

waterphaerie

HSC
Tulipa said:
Um. Yeah I get the whole tradition dictates much of Bible which makes most of it redundant. You don't need to read a whole big kids book to get that.

But now I'm confused. If you understand that the Bible's pretty much redundant in today's society (not saying secular just contextually) then why follow it?
The Bible isnt redunant, but there are some bits that we dont follow anymore. Before you give me the whole "you can't pick and choose" argument, let me explain why.

The Bible is divided into the Old Testament (OT) (before Jesus) and the New Testament (NT) (after Jesus). The OT is under the Old Covenant, and the NT is under the New covenant.

The Old Covenant was based on the law that God had made, and humans complying with that. However, we failed, so the convenant was broken. However, God made a new convenant that was no longer based on us humans obeying laws, but rather that if we trusted in Jesus Christ, then he'd take punishment for us, so that our salvation is now based on faith in him, rather than our own works and us obeying the laws.

I predict your question will now be "So why does it matter if you break the law- it shouldnt matter."

If you know that if you cheat on your boyfriend/girlfriend, that he or she will forgive you...Do you go and cheat?

No, you don't. You might slip up, but you wouldnt do it just cos you know you'll be forgiven. If you love someone, you'll want to do the right thing by them. Yeah, you'll stuff up occasionally, but you'll make the best of efforts not to.

Below i've copied the passage that i took all of the above from. It comes from the book of Hewbrews, chapter 8 verses 7 to 13.

For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. 8But God found fault with the people and said[a]:
"The time is coming, declares the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah.
9It will not be like the covenant
I made with their forefathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.
10This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
11No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
12For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."

13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

waterphaerie

HSC
azzie said:
I'm Christian.

And John Dixon's books are seriously crap man, if you think about it for more than 15 minutes, you find major flaws in his arguements.
Can you give me an example and argue your view, please?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Um yeah I don't believe in God.

At all. There is nothing you can say that will convince me otherwise.

However, I will stand by my argument that the Bible has been mistranslated and translated too many times to be valid as God's word. And not only that but it's not first hand at all.

So yeah. Don't understand why people take cues from it.

waterphaerie

HSC
mr_brightside said:
who wrote the documents?

You need a fat dose of Extension History waterphaerie
Ok, go out and prove Christianity wrong. I dare you.

People have been trying to do that for 2000 years, and i'm sorry Mr Brightside, but I don't think you'll be the one to do it :)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
waterphaerie said:
Ok, go out and prove Christianity wrong. I dare you.

People have been trying to do that for 2000 years, and i'm sorry Mr Brightside, but I don't think you'll be the one to do it :)
Prove it's correct.

People have been trying to do that for 2000 years and they're still relying on a little bit of blind faith too.

waterphaerie

HSC
Tulipa said:
Um yeah I don't believe in God.

At all. There is nothing you can say that will convince me otherwise.

However, I will stand by my argument that the Bible has been mistranslated and translated too many times to be valid as God's word. And not only that but it's not first hand at all.

So yeah. Don't understand why people take cues from it.
Fast facts..

*Every time the Bible is translated, they go back to the original manuscripts. Eg, When translating to French, they go Hebrew => French. They dont Take it from our english version.

*Scribes wrote stuff down and copied it letter by letter. If they made a mistake, if they could fix it up flawlessly they would, but if not, they'd have to start the WHOLE parchment again. If the error in writing involved God's name, then they had to start over.

* In the spring of 1947, an Arab shepherd boy was searching for one of his goats amony the valleys near the dead sea. Along the way he threw a rock into a hillside cave and heard the sound of breaking pottery. He climbed to investigate, and found pottery jars containing leather scrolls wrapped in linen. these leather scross (called the Dead Sea Scrolls) turned out to be one of the most significant discoveries of modern archaeology. Amonf them were sections of the Bible dated about 2000 years old.

When these sectiions were compared with modern Bibles, the accuracy was astounding. What we read now, is in fact, what was written thouseands of years ago. The ancient scribes did their job very well.
Dickson, J. A Sneaking Suspicion , 2004.

Etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)