School Leavers Scholarships (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^yeah, you are right.

I think they were calling people today though...he got one for Entry Scholarship.

I am not sure about merit though...

danz90

HSC
lyounamu said:
^yeah, you are right.

I think they were calling people today though...he got one for Entry Scholarship.

I am not sure about merit though...
I think each faculty does it themselves... I'm just hoping that Pharmacy faculty is gonna do their calls tomorrow...

cm90

HSC
i want one for pharmacy !!!!!!!!! how do they choose people on their short list, according to UAI?

danz90

HSC
cm90 said:
i want one for pharmacy !!!!!!!!! how do they choose people on their short list, according to UAI?
well I'm not suree..
Someone said that they shortlist more people than they have scholarships... so its not 100% certain that we get the scholarship if we get UAI above 95.

I really want one for pharmacy too.... my hope is when the mail comes in today there will be a letter from Pharm Faculty... maybe they sent out letters yesterday :idea:

I got a call at 9am this morning from (02) 8264 3526... but I was still sleeping, I'm wondering if that was themmmmmmm :uhoh:

cm90

HSC
danz90 said:
well I'm not suree..
Someone said that they shortlist more people than they have scholarships... so its not 100% certain that we get the scholarship if we get UAI above 95.

I really want one for pharmacy too.... my hope is when the mail comes in today there will be a letter from Pharm Faculty... maybe they sent out letters yesterday :idea:

I got a call at 9am this morning from (02) 8264 3526... but I was still sleeping, I'm wondering if that was themmmmmmm :uhoh:
oh okay, wonder how they choose from the shortlisted people then.... i got no calls :(

HSC
I hopefully get one. Thing is if I get one from Macquarie as well it's going to be a hard decision considering you get 12 000 a year there :uhoh: Gah, I'm so confused as to which uni to go to

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
olivegreentiger said:
I hopefully get one. Thing is if I get one from Macquarie as well it's going to be a hard decision considering you get 12 000 a year there :uhoh: Gah, I'm so confused as to which uni to go to
Is the Macquarie one, Merit Scholarship? How many get in?

cm90

HSC
danz90 ur UAI is 0.05 higher than mine ... ! u might have a better chance than me...

HSC
lyounamu said:
Is the Macquarie one, Merit Scholarship? How many get in?
Yep, that's the Merit Scholarship. Not many get in I'm pretty sure, less then Sydney I bet considering how much they give you per year and that you need a UAI of at least 98.5 to be even considered. I applied for Commerce at Sydney though, so I don't think I would be able to use the scholarship to do law/commerce now that I've changed my mind.

jenecis

HSC
Yeah, it is like the merit one at usyd. I don't know the numbers but I would say that the competition is probably higher at usyd.

If you get one from usyd and macq, I reckon the usyd would be better, even if it pays less. The social life at macq is apparently non-existent.

Do the scholarships at usyd cover the school fees? Are recipients expected to use the money to pay for the fees or is it $6000-$10 000 + fees?

Last edited:

danz90

HSC
jenecis said:
Yeah, it is like the merit one at usyd. I don't know the numbers but I would say that the competition is probably higher at usyd.

If you get one from usyd and macq, I reckon the usyd would be better, even if it pays less. The social life at macq is apparently non-existent.

Do the scholarships at usyd cover the school fees? Are recipients expected to use the money to pay for the fees or is it $6000-$10 000 + fees?
I think that they give you the $6000 to spend how you like (only towards educational purposes obviously), you can put it towards fees, or buy textbooks/computer etc etc.

cm90, i highly doubt 0.05 makes any difference lol.

janaranaran!

HSC
oh man I'm so excited - i got a letter yesterday from sydney saying i was one of 31 out of 600 applicants to the faculty of arts to be offered a scholarship! 10 of the 31 get merit scholarships, but I'm one of the 21 to get a one off entry one

but I'm still over the moon! makes me feel a bit more special after a disappointing UAI lol

weird though, I didn't get a letter or a call telling me I was shortlisted or anything, just got home from the beach yesterday and there was this letter on the table. Has anyone else heard back yet?

Last edited:

ke2004

HSC
Aw man i was shortlisted for health science one... but my uai was only 92... perhaps i still have a chance getting a scholarship as i live in the country (ie rural kid)??? has anyone else heard from the health science faculty????

ssglain

HSC
danz90 said:
I think that they give you the $6000 to spend how you like (only towards educational purposes obviously), you can put it towards fees, or buy textbooks/computer etc etc.
You can spend the money however you like - it's not limited to educational purposes. The scholarship comes in two equal installments - one at the beginning of each semester. The money is transferred into your nominated bank account and that's it. All yours.

And for those of you who unfortunately missed out on the scholarship - there are literally hundreds of faculty scholarships which are given out after uni begins. These are usually never publicised. For example, a friend of mine missed out on the Merit scholarship but was given a $1000 x 1yr Science Entry scholarship and a $1000 x 1 yr Maths Entry scholarship because he got 100 in MX1. Other friends have received similar things for overall academic achievements, sporting/extracurrilar activities, community involvements, socio-economic difficulties, etc. Some of these scholarship are especially reserved for people who missed out on the school leaver scholarships.

I was lucky to be offered the Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement of $10000 for the duration of my 7yr degree after UAIs were released and I thought that was it. But I got a letter from the School of Chemistry a couple of weeks into semester 1 offering me a Liversidge Scholarship for achieving the highest HSC chemistry mark in NSW in 2007. So be patient - there could be a nice surprise for you around the corner - but it's probably still a good idea to have a chat with people from the scholarships and prizes office from the faculty you're interested in about the scholarships that they have on offer.

:)

[Edit:] One more thing about the merit scholarship - after you meet the 95 UAI threshold (or at least it was 95 in 2007), they don't consider UAI any more and everyone is then ranked based on interview performance, extracurricular activities, potential contribution to the social life at USYD, that sort of thing. So don't worry if you think your UAI is in the lower range. You have just as good a chance as anyone else who's made the shortlist to get the scholarship.

Last edited:

jenecis

HSC
ssglain said:
You can spend the money however you like - it's not limited to educational purposes. The scholarship comes in two equal installments - one at the beginning of each semester. The money is transferred into your nominated bank account and that's it. All yours.

And for those of you who unfortunately missed out on the scholarship - there are literally hundreds of faculty scholarships which are given out after uni begins. These are usually never publicised. For example, a friend of mine missed out on the Merit scholarship but was given a $1000 x 1yr Science Entry scholarship and a $1000 x 1 yr Maths Entry scholarship because he got 100 in MX1. Other friends have received similar things for overall academic achievements, sporting/extracurrilar activities, community involvements, socio-economic difficulties, etc. Some of these scholarship are especially reserved for people who missed out on the school leaver scholarships.

I was lucky to be offered the Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement of $10000 for the duration of my 7yr degree after UAIs were released and I thought that was it. But I got a letter from the School of Chemistry a couple of weeks into semester 1 offering me a Liversidge Scholarship for achieving the highest HSC chemistry mark in NSW in 2007. So be patient - there could be a nice surprise for you around the corner - but it's probably still a good idea to have a chat with people from the scholarships and prizes office from the faculty you're interested in about the scholarships that they have on offer.

:)

[Edit:] One more thing about the merit scholarship - after you meet the 95 UAI threshold (or at least it was 95 in 2007), they don't consider UAI any more and everyone is then ranked based on interview performance, extracurricular activities, potential contribution to the social life at USYD, that sort of thing. So don't worry if you think your UAI is in the lower range. You have just as good a chance as anyone else who's made the shortlist to get the scholarship.
Congrats on getting the $10 000 pa scholarship. I'm wondering - did u still have to pay the school fees anyway?

sw3etaii168168

HSC
did anyone get offered scholarship from the eco business faculty yet? I have only heard about ppl getting them in other faculties at this stage... but i guess by now if u havnt got a reply u'd have to wait for 2nd round cos the uni is closed now

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
The application form thingy says 9th of January is when they shouldve sent most of them out. However, i HAVE been getting a bit nervous because some other people from faculties other than eco + bus have received their scholarships already.

SO yeah, i wouldn't panic now. Okay fine, I'm panicking. But the official date is 9th jan.

echmo91

HSC
nicko1990 said:
The application form thingy says 9th of January is when they shouldve sent most of them out. However, i HAVE been getting a bit nervous because some other people from faculties other than eco + bus have received their scholarships already.

SO yeah, i wouldn't panic now. Okay fine, I'm panicking. But the official date is 9th jan.
yeah, i'm panicking
but the shortlisted letter from eco + business says offers will be posted after uai results
so maybe there'll be a nice surprise for us in the letterbox come monday :)

rani.g.

HSC
OK, sounds like a stupid question but I just want clarification: people shortlisted for USYD scholarships find out if they are accepted/rejected by 9th January? (where did you find out?)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
rani.g. said:
OK, sounds like a stupid question but I just want clarification: people shortlisted for USYD scholarships find out if they are accepted/rejected by 9th January? (where did you find out?)
It's on the list of 'dates to remember' on the original form which you sent to the Scholarships office. You were advised to keep a photocopy of the application, perhaps for that reason amongst others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)