• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
English is compulsary because of people who write like you. :mad: I wish they made math compulsary too.
That sounds quite fair too. I know some kids at my school who are absolute freaks at English & History but pathetically crap at Maths. Since Maths is not compulsory, he's got the best units to go towards his UAI.

HSC
lyounamu said:
Forgot to fix 'suk' and 'yeh' (I think it is better written as 'yeah', if not don't bother).
Haha I edited before your post... but thanks lyounamu.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
jcurry said:
english like totally suks...
why do they make peple do it wen it has no impotence to us
like maibe if theiy did the corse for relavant stuff then yeh but no it suks
as i keep saying, it has much, much relevance, in any type of life you lead

unless you become a mute and chop off your hands and gorge out your eyes.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
as i keep saying, if has much, much relevance, in any type of life you lead

Awesome visual representation through sophisticated use of language. Explains why you are good at English (no sarcasm intended). :) :) :)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
lyounamu said:
Awesome visual representation through sophisticated use of language. Explains why you are good at English (no sarcasm intended). :) :) :)
haha. thank you.
it just frustrates me people are so ignorant to its importance.
you dont have to like it but you have to accept how important it will be later in life.

while you may think those 2 units could be better spent on something else, you'd be sadly mistaken.

selablad

HSC
foram said:
Crap! i still havn'tdone my english assignment! only 40% done!
I would point and laugh if I knew which direction south was :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
haha. thank you.
it just frustrates me people are so ignorant to its importance.
you dont have to like it but you have to accept how important it will be later in life.

while you may think those 2 units could be better spent on something else, you'd be sadly mistaken.
True. People who are generally good at all their subjects generally end up getting good marks in English because those people already understand & know the importance of English. I used to foolishly ignore the importance of English and dismiss the speculation that I was simply dumb not to try in English. But now, I fully understand its significance and I am actually putting a lot of effort!!! Not just that, I am feeling that I am getting the rewards from trying hard as I am increasingly witnessing huge improvements. At the end of the day, I will thank myself for being aware of its importance and putting effort to respond to its importance.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
im not attempting to say everyone should be an ace at english like me and if youre not, youre dumb
im just saying its vastly important in the real world. in uni, in the workforce, in everyday life and you should quit your bitchin' and do the best you can, because, for now, and rightly so, it is compulsory.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
nayyarv said:
READ THIS BEFORE VOTING

the question should be: Should English be compulsary for the UAI?

I think that is the real issue,

Leave ur thoughts on english in the HSC

I just wanted to find out what people thought of English being a compulsary subject, coz loads of people bitch about it at school
I didn't read the thread, so sorry if this has already been said...

But yes, it should be compulsory for people like you who STILL do not know how to spell halfway through their 13th year of education.

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
Some of the arguments put forward by pro-English posters are simply ludicrous. They argue that English teaches us valuable skills. True, but the current syllabus doesn’t teach any of that. The so-called valuable skills of communication are already in place by Yr 11, because all subjects have at least one oral assessment for every year since Yr 7. If that doesn’t teach you how to communicate, HSC English definitely won’t. Spelling and grammar is the focus of middle school, in-depth analysis of Lear and Coleridge is definitely not going to teach people how to spell properly.

ccc123 said

Originally Posted by le91
There should be a compulsory 2 units of englinsh and 2 units of math for study and UAI. It should also be compulsory for students to do a humanities and a science, although they don't necessarly have to be counted for the UAI.

Um...why?

Shouldn't students,
for the most part, be able to select subjects that coincide with their career aspirations/ interests/abilities?

Using the same argument against her, I pose the question, ‘Why should English be Compulsory?’, why not another subject like Australian History, or Geography.

“Not many people remember know the rich cultural background of Australia, and questions of who is ‘Edmund Barton’, or ‘Alfred Deakin’ are regularly met with blank faces. Geography is another shocker, with many people not understanding their impact on the environment. This appalling lack of knowledge can be combated by making Australian History and Geography compulsory for students doing the HSC.”

Sonyaleeisapixi said

English gives you basic life skills. the ability to speak at least vaguely confidently in front of peers and work mates, the ability to write a formal letter, to coherently write or dissect an argument, everything English gives you, you will need in the work force.
even if you work at maccas for the rest of your life.

These skills listed are actually covered by the Yr 10 syllabus; I remember doing a module dealing with arguments and fallacies. Also, this is not necessary for the workforce. If your job involves a lot of writing, sure English skills are valuable, but things like reports, require no knowledge of how language shapes meaning.

The argument that English teaches us skills for other subjects is also a complete fallacy. Of all the things I have learnt in English, writing a good essay has definitely not been one of them. In fact, my History and Geography teachers taught me how to get an argument across, and I applied that to English, and my mark improved considerably. Ecos and Business students at my school tell me that all the principles of essay writing they are taught are applied to English, and this improves my mark. It is being argued that this is working from English to other subjects, but it is actually working the other way round.

The real issue that is arising from this discussion is
Is HSC English relevant?

I agree for the need of a compulsory subject, but I believe it should be equally fair for both english and history type students and maths and science type students. If English is a compulsory subject, it gives english and history type students and unfair advantage, as well as disadvantaging students who are better at maths and science. This is why both english and maths need to be made compulsory, to create a more even playing field (though it can never be flat for various other reasons). People who say maths shouldnt be compulsory should take an imaginative journey and view this issue from the other side to gain insight.

Muz4PM

HSC
Excuse me, why do you seem to have such a disdain for English?

danz90

HSC
From what I've read, there must be a subject that every student must do in the HSC in order for UAI's to be calculated. Don't quote me, however I think I saw this on the UAC website.

I've always hated English, but now that I'm in Year 12, I started to look at it from a different, more social perspective. Kinda sounds dumb, but English does really make you think, about social values and what not, and you look at your own world and people around you more critically, at least I do. It's definitely not my favourite subject, but I can't say English is torture, even though I used to feel that way, because it's opened my eyes to the world a bit more.

Personal opinion. :)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Most of the people in this thread have said the generic "English suks lolz so I voted no". Just because you personally think something "sucks" doesn’t make it irrelevant or unimportant.

It’s ridiculous to think that an English speaking country should not have the NATIONAL LANGUAGE compulsory all the way through schooling. It isn’t like anyone speaks "Maths", similarly French or German is not compulsory in the HSC for that exact reason.

People need to look past their personal opinions in this thread and see the real truth, if English wasn’t compulsory think how poor the speaking and writing skills will be in this country, with so much reliance on computers these days the vocabulary and basic language skills will be lost.

jcurry

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
as i keep saying, it has much, much relevance, in any type of life you lead

lol
maybe i was too subtle in my sarcasm
sure english is important but not the kind that we get taught
the job i want has absolutely no relevance to analysing some movie i watched on the weekend or showing the imaginative journey i went through on the way to the shops
if we were taught more practical applications of english then i wouldn't hate it so much

utookmyusername

HSC
I think topics such as 'imaginative journeys' and 'belonging' are stupid, leave that to a psychology class. But I think english (and I mean actual english such as spelling, grammer, essay writing, etc) should be compulsory till year 10. After that, it should be optional cause there are a lot of subjects that I'd rather do that are not a complete waste of time.

Jess007

HSC
english should be compulsory.... not the stupid stupid topics we do though... gramma and all that stuff should still be compulsory..but other stuff...shit :)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
utookmyusername said:
I think topics such as 'imaginative journeys' and 'belonging' are stupid, leave that to a psychology class. But I think english (and I mean actual english such as spelling, grammer, essay writing, etc) should be compulsory till year 10. After that, it should be optional cause there are a lot of subjects that I'd rather do that are not a complete waste of time.
its called conceptual learning. you learn skills through concepts such as 'in the wild', 'journeys', 'telling the truth', etc.
do you know how much more boring english would be if it wasnt conceptual?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
jcurry said:
lol
maybe i was too subtle in my sarcasm
sure english is important but not the kind that we get taught
the job i want has absolutely no relevance to analysing some movie i watched on the weekend or showing the imaginative journey i went through on the way to the shops
if we were taught more practical applications of english then i wouldn't hate it so much
haha. maybe? sarcasm can be notoriously hard to catch over the net :p

i understand what you're getting at, but english serves to further your analytical 'questioning' skills. the ability to look at something and go, well, maybe not. while i understand for those aspiring to careers spent in space or working out why pi is not just a food, english may seem a bore and waste, i still think its very important.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
noit shudnt cuz u dnt need dat in real life u only nid basic english skills shakespeare wtf who needz that

waste of my time tbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)