Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
In its current scope, no. Critical analysis of texts learnt in English is not vital in later life unless you are looking at one of few specific fields, and I would prefer reasoning to be learnt through the sciences and maths instead. There are many people who lack reasoning and numeracy skills, and I would say that is far more harmful to society than anything English offers.

The current system of HSC English does not help migrants learn to speak English, nor does it help people to communicate more effectively. While those are important issues that should be addressed, HSC English does not do that.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
vds700 said:
English is a shit subject, complete waste of time. When the fuck are we gonna need to know how to analyse texts and remember quotes etc. I reckon it should be compulsory upto year 11, then u can drop it in year 12 if desired.

I fucking hate it, probably whats gonna drag my UAI down.
Agreed. :uhhuh:

but in saying that I don't mind english, it's one of my best subject and I like it. But I don't think it should be compuslory and counted to our UAI.

bawd

HSC
lyounamu said:
Agreed. :uhhuh:

but in saying that I don't mind english, it's one of my best subject and I like it. But I don't think it should be compuslory and counted to our UAI.
But I think some sort of standardised test should be required to assess basic English and numeracy skills across the cross section of the Year 12 student body. Nothing like the SATs of course.

Ioniza

HSC
hell, no it shouldn't. But, seeing as english is an important thing to know, as it is the basis of everything (followed by maths), they should split the course further into 'English GRAMMER' and 'English LITERATURE'.

LITERATURE should be what it is now, with all these texts and stuff, still 2 Unit, still counts towards UAI, but should NOT be compulsory. This type of subject should be like ancient history or art (ie, only for ppl who are into that stuff).

English GRAMMAR should be compulsory, but should focus on grammer, vocabulary and writing styles in everyday life (letters, memos, etc). This subject should both be compulsory and count towards your UAI, as it is very important for people to know.

Basically, English should be split into 2 areas, one about Literature and one about GRAMMAR. GRAMMER should be compulsory, not LITERATURE.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Templar said:
The current system of HSC English does not help migrants learn to speak English,
That's what ESL is for...

This is a pointless thread anyway. Go to any other (civilised) country, and you'll discover they must study their own language the same way we do.

dagpoodle

HSC
foram said:
English sucks. It should only be compulsary for people who did badly in the SC.

The majority of people who vote english to be compulsary are women.
i dont agree with you due to the fact English can be fun at the various stages~
i enjoyed the Frost poems and i dont think english Suck at all:burn:

expertdkx

B.IT Network Security
HSC
Uni Grad
Should English be Compulsory?

reasons for your options.
YES or NO...

for me i would say No, cause i would rather choose another subject in place of english..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: Should English be Compulsory?

I swear to God that there are tonnes of threads like this. But meh, I think English should definitely be compulsory. It's our language and it is our duty to advance further in our own language to more appreciate our culture. Of course, that is not the only reason. English is an essential skill for everyday life. There are countless other reasons why English must be compulsory for all students of NSW. But to be honest, I don't think it should be compulsory for UAI though...I think the BOS must set the particular bar where people need to pass to get English not counted or something...it really seems quite unfair for those who excel in Mathematics, but not much so in English.

lolokay

HSC

^ agreed. sucks that it has to count for your UAI

I reckon it really needs improving as a subject, but would I imagine that that's probably true for most other subjects too

Gay Captain

HSC

Should English Made Compulsory?
sure looks like it

Exphate said:
Yet another moron who honestly believes a thread on the internet will change policy.

Here's a hint:

It doesn't.

Don't worry, soon enough, LOTE will become a compulsary part of all high school education, as will mathematics extension 2.
compulsory english reduces equity in education coz it disadvantages the fobs

LOTE should be compulsory from stage 2 thru to stage 5, might give these strayans some culture :/

henry08

HSC
N/A

Yes, as to get a well roudned UAI, it must be compulsory. A UAI shoudl refelct a person's academic abilites, and English is a fundamental aspect of this.

Ruki

-Queen of the Damned-
HSC

I don't think it should be compulsory based on the simple fact that it's probably one of the worst subjects out there. Being compulsory, they should totally rethink the syllabus and make it worthwhile to learn -_-

Baggygreen408

HSC

Yes- although you have technaiues and that, it is the fundamnetal of the English language, nd if u seek to join the workforce i Australia, i believe that u should have completed english in the past..

Crates

Banned
HSC

HAHAHAHA - Should english be compulsory?

English already is compulsory.

Affinity

HSC

The OP didn't ask if english should become compulsory.

They should teach the english language not some f*cking postmodernist crap

Crates

Banned
HSC

Affinity said:
The OP didn't ask if english should become compulsory.

They should teach the english language not some f*cking postmodernist crap
'Should English Made Compulsory?'.

Look at the poll question.

Affinity

HSC

Is that even a proper sentence?

sw8mp

HSC

either make english not compulsory or make UAI compulsory for everyone because they are alot of morons not planning to go to uni pulling standard english down.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

sw8mp said:
either make english not compulsory or make UAI compulsory for everyone because they are alot of morons not planning to go to uni pulling standard english down.
Those morons that you might be referring to will not necessarily pull your marks down. As long as you perform reasonably well (i.e. better than those morons), there is no chance that you will be affected by them. You are basically only affected by those who beat you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)