• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (6 Viewers)

brookie94

HSC
Every store in wagga has female store managers and it's almost alwaysbeen like that since I can see

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Oh that reminds me!
This guy came through with three wish gift cards today. He wanted $450 on EACH card. Had to get svr approval before I started anyway.
The supervisor thought there might have been a $1000 transaction limit, so we planned to do the third gift card seperate. The first two gave a "CARD LIMIT EXCEEDED" or something since you can only do so much in one day (credit card). He asked for the nearest ATM.

He did not come back. I was going to ask him for a drivers license, and if he didn't have it I was going to cancel the transaction, as that's WAY to much to risk even if the signatures match (imagine if that was your stolen CC?).

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Female SM's

I've worked under one female SM, and whilst she was a total bitch on the one hand (if you stuffed up for instance), she was also a good manager and treated you well if you were a good worker (she bought me chocolate when i worked on my B-day, is the only one who has before). The store did used to have a long standing female SM, but everybody hated her apparantly as she was just trying to climb the ladder.

We used to have two female SM's in our area, one has gone on to SSS, the other is still around. More than Half of area/regional office are female though (SSS, HRS, RFSS, three HRO's, Regional HRM, LPO)

Idk, i think it has to do with the path to SM, in my experience, females gravitate towards service/fresh food (except meat)/non-trade, and males towards longlife, perishables, GM, liquor etc. and the latter seem to become SM and the formers SSM's.

SS-champion

HSC
Oh that reminds me!
This guy came through with three wish gift cards today. He wanted $450 on EACH card. Had to get svr approval before I started anyway.
The supervisor thought there might have been a $1000 transaction limit, so we planned to do the third gift card seperate. The first two gave a "CARD LIMIT EXCEEDED" or something since you can only do so much in one day (credit card). He asked for the nearest ATM.

He did not come back. I was going to ask him for a drivers license, and if he didn't have it I was going to cancel the transaction, as that's WAY to much to risk even if the signatures match (imagine if that was your stolen CC?).
We would never do a sale with $450 on 3 gift cards at our store. We have had past experience with stolen credit cards.

I get suspicious for any gift cards over $100, especially if they want multiple cards.

Checking a photo ID is a good idea.
Maybe there is a restriction on the register now so you can't do it.

Otacon2009

HSC
Speaking of which, we've been informed that Supervisors must be present whenever there is a Gift Card in the transaction.But they do nothing apart from some writing (Which I didn't find out what they were doing). Is it because too many Gift Card transactions have been coming up as fraudulent and deterrants need to be put into place to find the cause of it?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
We would never do a sale with $450 on 3 gift cards at our store. We have had past experience with stolen credit cards.

I get suspicious for any gift cards over $100, especially if they want multiple cards.

Checking a photo ID is a good idea.
Maybe there is a restriction on the register now so you can't do it.
The policy is unclear, and i think has changed multiple times about whether you can sell so many gift cards onto a CC at any one time, at any rate, if your ever concerned you can refer customers to the bulk order team in tasmania (and have order forms/contact details available should you choose to take that route). Myself, i always check ID for any sale >$300 on CC regardless, as i once sold $600 on a stolen CC in my younger years (like 2 months into the job). Infact, some of our customers even have (which i think is a good idea) written into the signature section of CC's PLEASE CHECK PHOTO ID.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Speaking of which, we've been informed that Supervisors must be present whenever there is a Gift Card in the transaction.But they do nothing apart from some writing (Which I didn't find out what they were doing). Is it because too many Gift Card transactions have been coming up as fraudulent and deterrants need to be put into place to find the cause of it?
that seems odd, all gift cards transactions can be accessed from storeline anyway, so i dont see why they would have to be there, although they do keep sending round corecomms telling us to make sure customers have enough money on wish cards as it is costing us heaps in declined transaction fees

HSC
that seems odd, all gift cards transactions can be accessed from storeline anyway, so i dont see why they would have to be there, although they do keep sending round corecomms telling us to make sure customers have enough money on wish cards as it is costing us heaps in declined transaction fees
Why would declined transaction fees on gift cards be an issue? Sorry if its completely obvious, but well, I never thought of it like that.

In saying that, half of my operators wouldn't know how to do a giftcard enquiry though.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Why would declined transaction fees on gift cards be an issue? Sorry if its completely obvious, but well, I never thought of it like that.

In saying that, half of my operators wouldn't know how to do a giftcard enquiry though.
we have to pay a fee everytime a transaction is processed, if we process a declined transaction, that costs money without benefit (there's no sale of goods) so they dont like it happening.

edit: transaction fee's are also why we dont give cash out on credit, even though it's possible, a normal EFTPOS transaction has no cost to us as the bank charges the customer, but CC transactions cost us money because the banks dont pass it on to the customers (or they do, but they still pass it on to us) now the transaction fee can be as high as 2%, so we dont bother as there is no benefit.

Last edited:

Craven

HSC
Nah, can't do it in a transaction. Back when they had the EZY Banking booths you could just run over to it and do a balance enquiry....

So I was doing 1-6pm on NYD on service (store is open 8.30-5.30) which I said was okay but then the girl that was rostered to do 8-1 kicked up a fuss and they tried to swap me around. "HELL NO!" I whinged to the 2IC that was doing the rosters (CSM is away now) but she said too bad because I didn't book it off and there was no one else. So next day I give them a handwritten letter stating I am unavailable to work NYD as per the EBA which states that all work done on a public holiday shall be voluntary. LOL, now the 2IC is doing it.... suffice to say I don't think she was very happy with me, but seriously, NOT MY PROBLEM!

Otacon2009

HSC
Do staff discount cards stay in reception until collection (or if the staff member leaves) or do unclaimed cards get destroyed after a certain period?

Essentially I'm on Annual Leave and I've got a self imposed exile going untill I return on February 1 and I do not want to go near work unless it was to collect my discount card. More on the justification later.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
What?

You can do giftcard enquiry within a transaction, I did some yesterday and I do them all the time within a transaction? :\
It's the only thing to do when they go "i dont know how much is on it"?

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Do staff discount cards stay in reception until collection (or if the staff member leaves) or do unclaimed cards get destroyed after a certain period?

Essentially I'm on Annual Leave and I've got a self imposed exile going untill I return on February 1 and I do not want to go near work unless it was to collect my discount card. More on the justification later.
Your discount card won't be destroyed unless you leave the company. Check with the Cash Office or your department manager to see if your card has arrived.

Harry778

HSC
Well, work last night was totally not as busy as I thought it would have been. I had to send someone home an hour early and I got everything done on time. Left at 10.30 like I'm supposed to for once LOL. SSS wants to talk to me about something tomorrow? I'm fucking scared as!! What do you think it would be? Working in 3 hours gayyy. 3-10.30 smoke shop. I'll just sit in the security cage "doing the load" even though I get it done in like 20 mins hahaha.

ily all.

Xxx.

Harry778

HSC
I know! There always problems and I have to go through it again and make sure everything is there. *COUGH* Cant have discrepancies un-recorded now can we?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Fcken.
I hate the DC sometimes.
We were meant to have ~20 boxes of Petite Pain Bake at Home rolls come in today, as they are on special... and instead they did a mispick, sending us ~20 boxes of Bake at Home Turkish bread. :mad1:

And my manager wouldn't dicrep them as they are worth more than the Petite Pains and argh. So now that shit is allll through the freezer, and HE is not the one who has to deal with the freezer, IS he. Grrr.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Overall a good but busy day. Was on SCO from 0630 - 1500. We didn't have an S/S (smokeshop) operator today, so the supervisor (who happens to be my 2IC), and I were balancing more then we could handle.

Her and me were running around like crazy headless chickens, she was in S/S doing smokes, general supervision, baskets, etc etc, whilst I was doing self serve and serving smokes when she wasn't in s/s (a lot of the time), mind you the SCO is flat stick, don't ask me how I managed both!
Had to call about 5 express alerts today. I was on my way out and I said to my 2IC "I can't believe we managed this today", she replied "yeah you were fantastic, so so SO glad you were here, could not have done it without you. You called express alerts when needed and were proactive, I would have been in so much trouble if you didn't call those when needed! You were fantastic today, thanks heaps. Definitely looking at a future of s/vision".

Pretty pleased with that, but such a hectic day. My 2IC is the most nicest, lovely person I think Safeway/woolies has, I swear. Also happy with the SCO shift I got back for new years day now. This week is as follows:

[SCO] Monday -- 0630 - 1500
[SCO] Wednesday -- 1500-2230
[SCO] Thursday -- 1500-2230
[SCO] Friday -- 0730 - 1500 (we open at 8 that day as opposed to 7)
[SCO] Saturday -- 1500 - 2130

I hope Saturday AND Today is 2.5x, because that's about 11.5 hours of double time and a half this week! And new years day is double time and a half also, so I am making quite a bit of $$$ atm :p

Anyway, be good.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)