The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

TG Fan

HSC
N/A
yeh buttt that means alterations to checkouts.. Meaning money which is totally against woolies beliefs of being complete tightarses ;) haha
Yeah.....Woolworths spend money on staff.....HA!

In England some stores have their checkout staff sitting down, as you can see in this image -

BUT the customer is packing their own bags. Can't see Aussie customers doing that. :devil:

Our checkout area is SO old. Built in the 80's I think. They're falling apart and no matter how hard you try to clean it up it still looks like sh*t!

ekul444

HSC
N/A
the customer is packing their own bags. Can't see Aussie customers doing that.
yeah thats the problem, example - aldi staff sit down, but only because customers pack their bags. same thing across all of europe, staff sit down, but bags are packed by customers.
can you imagine the outrage if Woolies said sorry no plastic bags, bring your own, oh and btw pack them yourself... bloody lazy australians :p

NNS7

HSC
N/A
The only time I called in sick, I got a doctor's certificate but my supervisor told me I didn't need to hand it in however during our induction, we were told we had to. I guess if your supervisor says you don't have to, you don't need to?

I've got a question for the pros in this thread. I am finishing my undergraduate studies this semester but since the postgraduate degree doesn't start till Feb 2011, I have to go back to my home country for the next semester. Is it possible to tell my supervisor that I have to be non available for the next 6 months or do I have to quit? I don't really want to quit because the staff and working environment at my store's pretty good.
You can take unpaid leave for 6mths or take a 'career break' just talk to your manager about it. you won't work for 6mths but will stay on the books and can resume you job when you return. it happens all the time, one of my staff just returned from 6mths in the US.

Any thoughts on the upgrade??
I'm loving the new RF gun features, being able to theft and print tickets and reports from inventory management is awesome. Also enjoying the new features in inventory management on the computer too.
Not loving the new desktop wallpaper or window size for the computers, I had to get my glasses to read corecomms!

jirwin

HSC
I was told that employees in work uniform basically HAVE to use self serve if only a few items. all about promotion and stuff. ironic because it was only like a week before I was told this, the SM came through express with 1 item.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
I love self serve, I really don't see why people wouldn't use it.
just wait till you get them in your store... your view of them might change then..

they are pretty good, but in australia they are still reasonably new technology and so they are far from perfect. there is still alot of refinement and improvement that needs to go into them before they will/can become the norm.
in a perfect world where everyone knew what they were doing, and followed instructions then they are great.
unfortunately people are not like that and it can very quickly turn into a nightmare... trust me ;)

Last edited:
HSC
just wait till you get them in your store... your view of them might change then..

they are pretty good, but in australia they are still reasonably new technology and so they are far from perfect. there is still alot of refinement and improvement that needs to go into them before they will/can become the norm.
in a perfect world where everyone knew what they were doing, and followed instructions then they are great.
unfortunately people are not like that and it can very quickly turn into a nightmare... trust me ;)
I have already said that I love it as a customer...because the store that has it has the most idiot operators ever. And I worked at this particular store yesterday - I can indeed confirm that some of them are actually retarded.

My store will not be getting self serve/refurb for another 5ish years probably. I will be out of there by then :p

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I was told that employees in work uniform basically HAVE to use self serve if only a few items. all about promotion and stuff. ironic because it was only like a week before I was told this, the SM came through express with 1 item.
That's bullshit.
I couldn't care less if area HR manager told me this to my face, If I (as staff member in uniform) wanted to go through a MANNED register for my item, I bloody will.

Self-Serve is simply an OPTIONAL method of purchase if you so wish to serve yourself.

Nobody is/should be forced to use self serve, it should (in theory) only be used by people who WISH to serve themselves. I also tell this to those retard customers who loudly say "self serve? the service here is PATHETIC" whilst lining up.

britto89

HSC
Any thoughts on the upgrade??
I'm loving the new RF gun features, being able to theft and print tickets and reports from inventory management is awesome. Also enjoying the new features in inventory management on the computer too.
Not loving the new desktop wallpaper or window size for the computers, I had to get my glasses to read corecomms!
My store hasn't got the upgrade yet, or i haven't been at work yet to notice it. are there major changes to the systems? like no more Back Office. I like the fact that "Print tickets from inventory management on the guns" is a feature. I submitted that as an idea years ago, didn't get my $50 though. Is it majorly different with stock receiving?

Britto

HSC
Try discussing with your dept manager and see what can be arranged. If you are a hard worker and they like you, they will figure something out. Are you casual or part time? Part time you could take unpaid leave for 6 months?
I'm casual. I'm generally a good worker. They have not had complaints for me. I never turn up for my shifts late and my appraisals have had good-excellent comments. When I can rock up to extra shifts I will...if I say I'm available. Thing is, they were calling me in a couple weeks ago (I said I wasn't available for a few weeks because of my thesis) a few times...had to reject them lol but during Christmas last year, even on days I wasn't supposed to work or on days I was rostered, if they called me or asked me to go in earlier, I normally would. :)

Your Supervisor only supervises you when you are working and has nothing to do with your leave or rosters. You need to talk to your Checkout Manager or 2IC.

However if you do need to leave you will be back just in time for the Christmas rush, so there shouldn't be any problems getting back in. But if you can get extended leave then that is best.
Even if I can come back for the Christmas period, my visa will be a tourist visa and I won't be allowed to work then. What do I tell my manager though?

You can take unpaid leave for 6mths or take a 'career break' just talk to your manager about it. you won't work for 6mths but will stay on the books and can resume you job when you return. it happens all the time, one of my staff just returned from 6mths in the US.
If that happens, it would be awesome because I'm thinking of that.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hypothetical quesiton - i've got 100+ hours of annual leave stored up. if i resign, will they pay that whole amount out?

NNS7

HSC
N/A
My store hasn't got the upgrade yet, or i haven't been at work yet to notice it. are there major changes to the systems? like no more Back Office. I like the fact that "Print tickets from inventory management on the guns" is a feature. I submitted that as an idea years ago, didn't get my $50 though. Is it majorly different with stock receiving?

Britto
There are some changes to systems but I'm not sure of all of them, I haven't had time to have a good look. Back office is still there unless your store has changed over to ISIS. You cannot print tickets directly from the gun but can order tickets from inventory management instead of going between screens. You can print reports directly from the gun. I haven't personally received any stock since the upgrade so I'm not sure about that, but overlaying is still the same.

SS-champion

HSC
anybody know what has prompted the increased security measures associated with the handling of SCO money?

at the end of the day, the money along with a cash report is now sealed in the acceptor/dispenser bags with cable ties before going to cash office. in addition the coin dispensers on all machines are spot checked at the end of the month...

also, we got this documentation for the routines for "V5 New SCO Hardware". is there a new version of the machines out? i read through it and it all looks exactly the same... does it apply to older SCOs?
we haven't changed how we handle the SCO money but it could be due to it (nearly) always being short of money. I blame this on the machines.

I saw that documentation too... when talking to an NCR technician he said that Woolworhts was getting the new SCO's (like Coles)... so probably for new stores. I think some of the stuff does apply to older SCOs.

Yer I heard the upgrade is going to massive. Lol, it will be interesting. I read something somewhere about a SCO "Unexpected Weight" report. Which I presume means you can view how many weight miss matches there were in the day? And investigate it or something?
yes finally some upgrades to the SCOs! I think what you mean is a new "Intervention report" which is basically a log of every time an attendant presses Store Log In and what they did to assist the customer. Hopefully IT can fix the amount of Unexpected Item in bagging area errors!!

Other changes coming include:
- signature verification processing screen
- Accept button (on place item screen) changed to Assistance required
- changes to wording on payment screens
- charity donations on SCO

That's bullshit.
I couldn't care less if area HR manager told me this to my face, If I (as staff member in uniform) wanted to go through a MANNED register for my item, I bloody will.

Self-Serve is simply an OPTIONAL method of purchase if you so wish to serve yourself.

Nobody is/should be forced to use self serve, it should (in theory) only be used by people who WISH to serve themselves. I also tell this to those retard customers who loudly say "self serve? the service here is PATHETIC" whilst lining up.
totally agree... I remember when we first got sco... they encouraged us to use sco to reduce express queues. But of course you have the option. I like to go through express if a friend is on their :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)