Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
haha, the classic argument.
Is there truly any point to argue His existence? By arguing, I assure you, everyone will just believe themselves more as opposed to being convinced of the contrary.
Personally, though, yes. I believe God does indeed exist, simply for the fact all cannot be explained. Science explains most things; but we often overlook the small things which we can't actually explain.
But believe what you must and we'll all be quite happy. :)
So you believe in god because you can't handle uncertainty?

1bpcsmem

HSC
This argument is a classical one. I personally do not believe that god exist but I do respect the fact that religion is an essential aspect of society. Science and religion both have their boundaries, we cannot be sure that science can explain everything even in the future and while the explanations of the natural world by religion are more accumulated than the explanations and reasonings provided by science, it is within mankind's capabilities to doubt those explanations due to the lack of seen evidence. Our psychology are currently in a more sophisticated position where we have to see "it" rather than just read "it" off something to believe "it". The fact that the bible states that god exists does not provide sufficient evidence to prove that he does exist. First of all, the bible is written by mankind and not by god and the ideals evident in the bible are not those of god but those of the people that wrote the bible.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
This argument is a classical one. I personally do not believe that god exist but I do respect the fact that religion is an essential aspect of society. Science and religion both have their boundaries, we cannot be sure that science can explain everything even in the future and while the explanations of the natural world by religion are more accumulated than the explanations and reasonings provided by science, it is within mankind's capabilities to doubt those explanations due to the lack of seen evidence. Our psychology are currently in a more sophisticated position where we have to see "it" rather than just read "it" off something to believe "it". The fact that the bible states that god exists does not provide sufficient evidence to prove that he does exist. First of all, the bible is written by mankind and not by god and the ideals evident in the bible are not those of god but those of the people that wrote the bible.
Babble.
Do you respect the fact that 'witchcraft' is an essential part of society?
'Explanations of the natural world by religion are more accumulated'................? What on earth to you mean by this? Religion was an early attempt at science, albeit a failed one. Your last line makes sense atleast.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
If parents stopped brainwashing their children, there'd be plenty fewer people who would take up religion when their brains are fully formed.
the main problem with this statement is that there are so many people such as my self who have non-christian families, and God has Drawn us to himself other ways.

cghsjiwon

HSC
Why do people want to create a thread like this in the first place?
What's so interesting about finding out who believes in God and who doesn't?
Whether you believe in God or not is your own business so just leave it at that. It's not like someone's gonna be converted online.

danal353

HSC
So you believe in god because you can't handle uncertainty?
i'm agnostic, so believe that some form of higher power exists but not in the way that any organised religion represents it... i think its because i find it hard to put all my faith into a book... but i think i'm scared of uncertainty and just dying, and that's why i'd rather believe there is a god...

... kind of like self-deception really

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
i'm agnostic, so believe that some form of higher power exists but not in the way that any organised religion represents it...
You're actually not agnostic, you're a theist.

Agnostic would be to believe that the existence of god is unknown or unknowable.

danal353

HSC

Agnostic would be to believe that the existence of god is unknown or unknowable.
oh okay thanks, i suppose i do believe that the existence of god is unknowable, but you're right - i would be theist then...

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Marmalade said:
If parents stopped brainwashing their children, there'd be plenty fewer people who would take up religion when their brains are fully formed.
the main problem with this statement is that there are so many people such as my self who have non-christian families, and God has Drawn us to himself other ways.
That doesn't detract from his statement, he never said that there weren't people such as yourselves who take up Christianity despite having a non-Christian family. He's saying that not as many people would take up Christianity if their parents hadn't brought them up with a Christian upbringing.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

Unless one claims to have knowledge of god's existence (or lack thereof), then technically agnosticism is not mutually exclusive with theism (or atheism for that matter).
Atheism and theism are concerned belief about whether or not god(s) exists, whereas gnosticism and agnosticism are concerned with (perceived) knowledge of their existence.

closmo

HSC
I haven't read the whole argument, could not be bothered, so I don't know if this point has been made or not BUT: There is more evidence that Jesus did the things he did than there is that Julius Ceasar existed, and yet most people say "Yes, Julius Ceasar was real, he did this and this and that" but there just happens to be a big debate on Jesus being real and did all those miracles that has been claimed he did.

But to believe in God, you need no real evidence. It's faith. Personally I like the idea of being able to believe that I'll be able to meet my loved ones again after death. That's just what I personally believe. I also have evidence in my own mind, which I will share with you and don't mind being ridiculed on- I am strong in my beliefs- but here is my evidence:

When my father was about 17, my grandmother had a stroke, and she was dieing, but when she lived through it she told the docors and my grandfather that she was approached by her mother (who had died years before) and she was saying "come with me" but she head my father cry out "Mum, I need you" she apologised to her mother and turned to walk to my father, as soon as she reached him she awoke.

But that's all the evidence I need. That there is an afterlife, and to me that afterlife includes God.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I haven't read the whole argument, could not be bothered, so I don't know if this point has been made or not BUT: There is more evidence that Jesus did the things he did than there is that Julius Ceasar existed, and yet most people say "Yes, Julius Ceasar was real, he did this and this and that" but there just happens to be a big debate on Jesus being real and did all those miracles that has been claimed he did.
What? No there isn't, and that is a monumentally stupid argument that has been made time and time again. The only contemporary, primary proof there is that Jesus even existed is.. wait, there isn't any. The gospels were written at least three decades, possibly over a century, after he died. Caesar, on the other hand, himself wrote books, not to mention the stack and stacks of other primary, contemporary evidence.

EDIT: Stupid site but puts it succinctly: http://draconem.vox.com/library/post/the-historicity-of-jesus-christ-vs-julius-caesar.html

Last edited:

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
When my father was about 17, my grandmother had a stroke, and she was dieing, but when she lived through it she told the docors and my grandfather that she was approached by her mother (who had died years before) and she was saying "come with me" but she head my father cry out "Mum, I need you" she apologised to her mother and turned to walk to my father, as soon as she reached him she awoke.

But that's all the evidence I need. That there is an afterlife, and to me that afterlife includes God.
All anecdotes are completely worthless in academic discussion or debate. Yours takes this one step further by not being a description of a miraculous, supernatural event, but simply the DREAMS OF A DELUSIONAL DYING WOMAN. Are you really so simple that that recollection alone is enough to sustain your faith?

You could have at least made some shit up about praying for rain in the desert or something.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
All anecdotes are completely worthless in academic discussion or debate. Yours takes this one step further by not being a description of a miraculous, supernatural event, but simply the DREAMS OF A DELUSIONAL DYING WOMAN. Are you really so simple that that recollection alone is enough to sustain your faith?

You could have at least made some shit up about praying for rain in the desert or something.
OOFT harsh but true.

mggail

HSC
although people definatly have the right to have their own opinion, I personally have to say that I believe god does not exist. I would not debate the existance of a man called Jesus, but the claim that two thousand years ago he walked on water etc etc seems to have no basic evidence, as previously pointed out the bible was not even written by him.

I cannot deny that the idea that there is a heaven, a place of perfection where we will meet our deceased family and friends, is very attractive, however, religen seems to be most often turned to in order to explain what has not yet been explained. The vampire scare in the 16/1700's (i think ?) is an example of people who dont know better turning to supernatural explainations. Perhaps one day we may have all the answers, this does seem to be rather a scary thought though.

Does anyone have any ideas on the Criss Angel guy? The one who can levitate and walk on water etc...

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
The vampire scare in the 16/1700's (i think ?) is an example of people who dont know better turning to supernatural explainations. Perhaps one day we may have all the answers, this does seem to be rather a scary thought though.

Does anyone have any ideas on the Criss Angel guy? The one who can levitate and walk on water etc...
people thinking Criss Angel's illusionism is not illusionism but real would be another example of BOLD

BigBoyJames_

Banned
HSC
N/A
tbqh even if god does not exist i like to think he does. It just gives me some sort of inner spiritual peace that i need which the modern materialistic world cannot give me. I know people will say its delusional and what not, but at times going to the mosque after a while does give me relief knowing that everything will be better.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
why bother if you're not gonna make a definitive choice? religion doesn't just work like pilates or eating lots of yoghurt.

BigBoyJames_

Banned
HSC
N/A
how the fuck can you make a definite choice when there is no evidence. its fath, blind fucking faith you fool

TrueHappiness

HSC
Would people convert to Christianity, if say absolute, (or close to that) proof of Jesus's existence is avaliable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)