• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muslim cleric: women incite men's lust with 'satanic dress' (2 Viewers)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
hey, who said that Islam let's the male off??
It is quite clearly the fault of he who can't control his wang.

firehose

HSC
physician said:
... I also love Australia especially for the freedom it gives me to practice my religion
Well, isn't it a shame then that the world's most fervent Islamic countries are also so very against the mere existence of other religions and followers of other religions. Have u ever noticed that countries of a Christian tradition (Australia, Europe, even USA) are so welcoming to immigrants of any religious background yet even the practice of a religion other than Islam in countries like Saudi arabia and Iran is basically forbidden?

firehose

HSC
And about the cleric's views, what really needs to be fixed up is the men's attitudes, it is such a shame that he did not mention a single thing about the men being at fault and only set out to female victim as at wrong because she somehow didn't wear enough.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
tangerinespeedo said:
hey, who said that Islam let's the male off??
It is quite clearly the fault of he who can't control his wang.
I didn't mean to imply that I thought Islam lets the male off but these sort of interpretations of Islam do tend to put the onus on the woman. But you know then it just comes back to relavitism etc.

Anyway, it sort of makes me sad that it is these sort of people which are the public face of Islam.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
i agree, he should have placed the burden of blame on the males themselves, but you could tell from the moment he began his speech how incredibly biased he was, i'm sure this goes for many religions who can testitfy that some who follow them are incredibly sex/rac/elitist etc.

firehose, i do believe iran is 99% muslim, there is room for other religions. saudi arabia is the only country i believe where any othere religion is forbidden, purely because it is the holy land. otherwise there are a million places where muslims and christians/jews/hindus/sikh/jains/bahaiis etc live side by side.

firehose

HSC
Yeah other religions are mildly permitted but even if practice is allowed, it is allowed amidst an atmosphere of hate and despising upon. Even more so if someone is a convert to something else from Islam... the consequences for such an action are anything but welcoming.

It's great to see the overwhelming opposition to what that cleric said, it would be even better if other prominent Muslim leaders vocally spoke out against it as well.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
So a Muslim man is supposed to marry someone with having made eye contact with them beforehand?

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
tangerinespeedo said:
GAAAARRRRR
ok i'm a muslim
im female
i have male friends
i don't wear the hijab
yet so many people have praised me on my morals and such

i actually went to that lecture....did not agree with what he said in teh slightest..these lectures are only interpretations of these people and their impostion of their beliefs on others.

*noise of exasperation* MUslim women are not oppressed....I and every single woman in my family and circle of friends are testament to that...we go out, we have male and female friends, we talk openly to people, are educated (many of the girls I know are exceedingly intelligent) and yet still hold on to our religious roots...this man is quuite clearly an extremist..interpreting the Qu'ran, which enocurages moderation, and extending the words to an unhealthy extreme.
Please don't rely on the words of a single man to sum up our religion or the stature of our women.

i don't think all muslim women are oppressed, and as you said, you and your family are testament to that, but i think that in alot of muslim families that are very strict, the women are oppressed, or interpret the qu'ran in such a way to make the women under the mens' thumbs...

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
So a Muslim man is supposed to marry someone with having made eye contact with them beforehand?
no, these recommendations were brought down to stop the levels of objectification of women inherent at those times. the fact that you should not make eye contact is referring to the fact that you should veil your eyes with a modest gaze..not that you can't look at someone in their eyes as such. it's saying keep your modesty and dignity by you, if you have a guy/girl you want to marry get to know them (yes, that means look in their eyes etc) talk to them, figure out whether you can love that person for the rest of your life and go for it. all it's saying is that women are not to be objectified simply as vessels for sex, they have minds, souls, opinions etc..that is why they are told to dress modestly so men can recognise that. It is stated that you should not marry purely for looks, but marry for his/her piety, goodness, nature etc.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
firehose said:
Well, isn't it a shame then that the world's most fervent Islamic countries are also so very against the mere existence of other religions and followers of other religions. Have u ever noticed that countries of a Christian tradition (Australia, Europe, even USA) are so welcoming to immigrants of any religious background yet even the practice of a religion other than Islam in countries like Saudi arabia and Iran is basically forbidden?
well actually alot of counties (muslim counties) in the mddle east are comprised of almost 100% christians and muslims... and both practice their religions freely... when i was in Jordan i would here the regular sunday church bells... and would also hear the muslim call for prayer from various mosques... u would hardly find anyone else from other religions it's less than 1% and 1% in most muslim countries is way less than 1% in Australia due to the population being way less...

Lebanon is also widely christian populated...

I agree with tangerinespeedo on saudi arabia

tempco

HSC
BAH im sick of people like this being quoted in the media.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Even though this is written by Miranda Devine, I agree with her points. I mean there has to be a point where some forums are pushing it. I mean what's to stop people from starting anti-Muslim forums in response to the distasteful comments made by some fucked up cleric? The new movie Kingdom Of Heaven is pushing it in terms of making 'Moslems' to be evil and mechanistic but after these kinds of comments ( which are nothing new mind you except that Devine has once again brought up an old issue to shit stir ) there may well be another rise of anti-Muslim sentiment.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
That cleric dickhead should keep his views on womens dress to himself. If the men he refers to really have no more control over themselves than wolves then they deserve to be either shot or locked in a cage

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
I feel sorry for for good and decent muslims in this country who face the brunt of biggotry because of neanderthals like this guy.

I reckon that the cleric should be put into prison for enciting racial hatred . . . against muslims. Any objections?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
tangerinespeedo said:
lol..or extradited?
tengerinespeedo was this lecture in areabic or english? Just curious...

by the way i won't comment on the sheikhs comments because alot of stuff can be put out of context... except for this

people, by saying "it's the girls fault, she only has herself to balme" he is not encouraging rape... his intention could have merely been to encourage women to put the headscarf on, Only Allah knows his true intention,

It is a part of the male human nature to be attracted to a female exposed body... even if it were just an arm or a leg... the fact is, it's become the norm for males these days to see the regular half top, short sleeve, that we often don't realise that they can be arousing factors for rape... By the way in Islam as well as christianuty we know that adultery can be comitted with the eyes, ears, nose and then the actual physical adultery, I remember a teacher reading a vesre from the bible i think it said "it would be better for a man to pluck his eyeball out that to have his whole body suffer for glancing at a women lustfully"

Now of course, ok a girl wants to wear watever she likes... fair enogh... and In Islam it's the guy that should get punished if he attacks.. not the girl... because the guy comtting the rape would do it willingly... and obviously if a female was the victim it would be unwillingly...

and by the way this act would also be classed as fornication... and the punishment for fornication in Islam is 100 lashes.... so in no way does Islam provoke or encourage Rape... and most mulsims know the punishemnt and have prior knowledge to what the sheikh was saying...

Just thought i might add these points...

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
jennylim said:
Muslim cleric: women incite men's lust with 'satanic dress'
By Miranda Devine
April 24, 2005
The Sun-Herald

A Muslim sheik told followers at a public meeting in Bankstown that women who were raped had incited men's lust by dressing immodestly and only had themselves to blame.

Sydney-born Sheik Faiz Mohamad, 34, a former boxer who teaches at the Global Islamic Youth Centre in Liverpool, made the comments during a lecture for more than 1000 people at Bankstown Town Hall.

The Sun-Herald has a recording of the March 18 speech in which Sheik Faiz said: "A victim of rape every minute somewhere in the world. Why? No one to blame but herself. She displayed her beauty to the entire world . . .

"Strapless, backless, sleeveless, nothing but satanic skirts, slit skirts, translucent blouses, miniskirts, tight jeans: all this to tease man and appeal to his carnal nature."

He compared a woman dressed in such a way to a sheep. "Would you put this sheep that you adore in the middle of hungry wolves? No . . . It would be devoured. It's the same situation here. You're putting this precious girl in front of lustful, satanic eyes of hungry wolves. What is the consequence? Catastrophic devastation, sexual harassment, perversion, promiscuity."

AdvertisementAdvertisement
The invitation to the $15-a-head lecture stipulated modest dress and "strict male and female segregation". It was promoted as a lecture about "death" in flyers and on the website of the ICRA Youth Centre in Lidcombe, an Islamic community group which sponsored the evening.

The ICRA and Faiz's Global Islamic Youth Centre have broken away from the Lakemba Mosque, the main place of worship for Sydney's Lebanese Muslims, because, a former associate says, Sheik Taj Aldin Alhilali, 64, is too moderate.

Sheik Faiz also exhorted Muslim women to wear the hijab head covering as "a liberation from male scrutiny".

"It's sad to see today how young girls are being brought up," he said. "The way they dress, their hairstyles . . . layers of make-up, which they just shovel on in order to remove afterwards, tanning out in the sun, bronzed, shiny so she can shine the lustful eyes of men; extreme dieting, working out. Why? So she can get the best figure, but not for her husband."

He also condemned the soap opera Days Of Our Lives, which he said made wives negative towards their husbands, and said "premarital sex is fashionable, that manipulation, deceit, cheating, lying falsehood are all essential ways to get the man or lady of your dreams".

Sheik Faiz declined to be interviewed.

just putting it up for debate..
omfg
i was there..at the lecture
hes NOT NOT NOT certified sheik
AND HE BELONGS TO GYIC!!

nothing against them ofkorse..but he has weird views..and at the lecture people were walking out..seriously offended..
and sheik khaled yassin was there too..the topic of the night was supposed to be about death
neways..just coz one muslim sheik says something stupid its not islam at all
we follow koran and sunnah..not uncertified and unqualified "sheiks"

Kulazzi

HSC
there you go, I think I was a bit over-reactive on the issue. The sheikh seems very sexist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)